Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
One day when I was walking on the road a nail stabbed my foot (I was 9 or 10 at that time). It was approximately 4-5 inch long. It was on the road and I couldn't see it. It had gone all the way into my foot. I took it out myself and walked two KMs to my home with blood oozing out of that wound.

Can I say "it went into my foot"? Do we call the lower part of our feet "sole"?

Please check my sentences.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
One day​, when I was 9 or 10, I was walking on [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] a road and I accidentally trod/stepped on a nail. [STRIKE]stabbed my foot (I was 9 or 10 at that time).[/STRIKE]

It was approximately 4-5 inches long (no full stop here) [STRIKE]It was on the road and I couldn't see it.[/STRIKE] and it [STRIKE]had gone[/STRIKE] went all the way into my foot. I [STRIKE]took[/STRIKE] pulled it out myself and walked the two [STRIKE]KMs[/STRIKE] kilometres [STRIKE]to my[/STRIKE] home with blood oozing out of [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] the wound.

Can I say "it went into my foot"? Yes.

Do we call the lower part of our feet the "sole"? Yes, but there's no need to be so specific in this context. If you stepped on it, it's clear that it went into the sole of your foot.

Please check my sentences.

See above.

Weren't you wearing shoes?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Or it penetrated the sole of your shoe and went into/pierced your foot.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
See above.

Weren't you wearing shoes?

No, I was wearing flip flops.

I pulled it out myself and walked the two kilometres home. Is this sentence correct?

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Having read post #2, I think it is correct, but I don't understand why 'the' is needed there.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
It isn't obligatory. If used, it means that distance (two kilometres) that lay between the place of the incident and my home.

But why "walked the two kilometers home" not "walked two kilometers to home"? Is latter incorrect or unnatural?

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
'Home' is an adverb in 'walked home', so 'to' is not needed before it.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
But why "walked the two kilometers home" rather than [strike]not[/strike] "walked two kilometers to home"? Is the latter incorrect or unnatural?
See above. I didn't add a verb to the first sentence; there's an implied "use" or "write" after why.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think the nail 'pierced' rather than 'stabbed' your foot.

As Emrs says, it would be more natural turn it around. We step on the nail, the nail doesn't do something to us. The nail was just sitting there minding its own business.

Single-word numbers - four, five, nine, ten - are usually spelled out. There isn't one consistent practice, though. Still, I like "about four or five inches long" better than "approximately 4-5 inches long."

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
As Emrs says, it would be more natural turn it around. We step on the nail, the nail doesn't do something to us. The nail was just sitting there minding its own business.
Nothing would have happened if it had been lying flat.

Status
Not open for further replies.