Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Ju is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,152

    Immigrate and emigrate

    "It depends on where you are when you say it.
    Let's say Anya migrated from Sweden to England.
    If you are in England, you can say, "Anya immigrated [to here] from Sweden ".
    If you are in Sweden, you can say, "Anya emigrated [from here] to England."

    But if you are in France, you don't say, "Anya immigrated from Sweden." nor, "Anya emigrated to Engand." These would imply 'to France' and 'from France' respectively."

    I copied the above post from the old thread. I don't understand the second paragraph about in France.

    Can someone help?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    74,147

    Re: Immigrate and emigrate

    A person in France is not at either end of Anya's journey, so the prefixes don't make much sense. The Swedish and British perspectives seen in the directions the prefixes give are not very useful to someone outside the loop, like someone in France as they have neither entered nor left it.
    Last edited by Tdol; 20-Oct-2017 at 06:55. Reason: typo

  3. #3
    Ju is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,152

    Re: Immigrate and emigrate

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    A person in France is not at either end of Anya's journey, so the prefixes don't make much sense. The Swedish and British perspectives seen in the directions the prefixes give are not very useful to someone outside the loop, like someone in France as they have neither entered no left it.
    Hi Tdol,
    Do you agree with the context in the first paragraph?

  4. #4
    GoesStation is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    22,264

    Re: Immigrate and emigrate

    A person immigrates to the country they're moving to. They emigrate from the country they have left. You can say that someone immigrated to the United States regardless of where you are when you say it.

    The prefix im-​ is helpfully similar to the preposition "in", so this is easy to remember.
    I am not a teacher.

  5. #5
    Ju is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,152

    Re: Immigrate and emigrate

    Quote Originally Posted by GoesStation View Post
    A person immigrates to the country they're moving to. They emigrate from the country they have left. You can say that someone immigrated to the United States regardless of where you are when you say it.

    The prefix im-​ is helpfully similar to the preposition "in", so this is easy to remember.
    Hi GoStation,

    Your explanation is very helpful. Then how about the usage of "migrate"? Does it only apply to animals?

    Thanks.

  6. #6
    GoesStation is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    22,264

    Re: Immigrate and emigrate

    Quote Originally Posted by Ju View Post
    Then how about the usage of "migrate"? Does it only apply to animals?
    Not entirely. We speak of migrant farm workers, for example. But the verb migrate is only rarely applied to people.
    I am not a teacher.

  7. #7
    Ju is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,152

    Re: Immigrate and emigrate

    Quote Originally Posted by Ju View Post
    Hi GoStation,

    Your explanation is very helpful. Then how about the usage of "migrate"? Does it only apply to animals?

    Thanks.
    I'll try to make sentences as follows.

    1. Jan has just immigrated to the United States last week.

    2. Jan has just emigrated to the United States from China last week.

    3. A flock of birds migrates from the south to the north coast of the country.

    Are they correct?

  8. #8
    GoesStation is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    22,264

    Re: Immigrate and emigrate

    Quote Originally Posted by Ju View Post
    I'll try to make sentences as follows.

    1. Jan has just immigrated to the United States last week.

    2. Jan has just emigrated to the United States from China last week.

    3. A flock of birds migrates from the south to the north coast of the country.

    Are they correct?
    1 and 2 would be correct if you removed either has or last week.

    Number 3 is grammatical, but the present continuous is more typical in most contexts.
    I am not a teacher.

  9. #9
    Ju is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,152

    Re: Immigrate and emigrate

    Quote Originally Posted by GoesStation View Post
    1 and 2 would be correct if you removed either has or last week.

    Number 3 is grammatical, but the present continuous is more typical in most contexts.
    The correction will be:


    1. Jan has just immigrated to the United States.

    2. Jan has just emigrated to the United States from China.

    3. A flock of birds is migrating from the south to the north coast of the country.

    Are they correct now?

  10. #10
    Barb_D's Avatar
    Barb_D is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    19,049

    Re: Immigrate and emigrate

    I would reorder #2: emigrated FROM China to the United States. The US part is not part of the idea of emigrating from China.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •