Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Next paragraph.

My favorite pastime is reading books on various subjects like history, literature, and biographies. These days I am reading about famous lawyer and author Earle Stanley Gardner, the creator of Perry Masson, my favorite character. I have watched the TV series called "Ironside" based on the character of Perry Masson and played suberbly by Raymond Burr.

(I am not sure I would call literature a subject.)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Next paragraph. Perhaps:

The sharp smell of curry has stimulated my hunger, and I rush to the kitchen, turn off the oven, take out the curry and relish it with rice which my wife cooked yesterday. I turn on the washer and wash the clothes and hang them on the line to dry. They will soon be dry in the intense heat.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Next paragraph. Perhaps:

Looking through my window, I can see the garden, which is almost deserted. The trees and flowers in it are motionless as no hint of a breeze is there. iSeldom does anybody enter the garden and walk through it. Because of the holiday and and mainly because of the hot weather, the traffic on the nearby road is sparse.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Next paragraph. Perhaps:

It is 5:00 PM. Suddenly I can feel the coolness in the air and hear the rattling of the windows in the wind. I rush towards the window, and I see the dark cloud cover, hear the rumble of thunder, and see continuous lightning. As forecast, the thunderstorm has struck.

Finished!

hatimhussain

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
My dear Tarheel,

Thank you so much. Tarheel, I can't express my gratitude in words that how much your attention towards my draft has helped me in improving my writing. Ending this thread, I would request you to please comment in perhaps one or two lines about my draft. Is my writing good or mediocre in terms of grammar. Tarheel your few words will enable me to judge my ability. Tarheel, I expect an straightforward (even blunt) reply from your, please. It will only improve my writing.

Thanks

Hatim Hussain..

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Let's take a stab at paragraph seven. Perhaps:

The heat was intense. It felt like being in an oven. The ceiling fan seemed to do nothing but move the hot air around. Lunch time is still hours away, but I have in mind that I have to prepare lunch since I am alone today. I am by no means a regular cook. I only cook when I have to as is the case today. Vegetables are a mandatory part of my meal whether they are in the shape of curry or a salad. I also relish fish and fried pulses for lunch. Today I am going to eat vegetable curry. I take some vegetables out of the refrigerator, and after rinsing and cutting them I put them in a saucepan and put on top on the stove on low heat.

Of course, you can reword that any way you want to, or you can leave it the way it is. It's up to you.

I was a little confused about whether you put the vegetables in the oven (to bake) or on top of the stove, but vegetables aren't normally baked, so I put them on top of the stove. However, I could have gotten that wrong. (American English.)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Some vegetables are commonly roasted in the oven. In my house, they're put on a baking/roasting tray/dish, drizzled with oil and herbs, and slow-roasted for about 90 minutes until they're beautifully succulent and soft.
Other than the type of food involved, there's little difference between roasting and baking. Both involve putting food into a hot oven and leaving it there for a specific length of time until it's done!

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not being a cook, I don't know the difference between roasting and baking. You have enlightened me (a little).
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.