• Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Chicken coop

Hi,
    When you raise roosters and hens in your yard, what do you call the chicken house with some fenced area for the chickens to walk around? I did a google search and came up with “coop” and “pen”.

It seems that a pen is just a fenced area, and doesn’t include a house. Are there any other words for a chicken coop? I know it’s also called “hen house”, but if I have male chickens in it, can I still call it “hen house”?

Does it sound natural if I say “They have a chicken house with a little play area in their back yard”?

Thank you.

J&K Tutoring Guest

Re: Chicken coop

One thing that non-farm people seldom realize is that, on a farm, by far the majority are females. They are the ones laying eggs, giving milk, and having babies. A male is of course necessary, but often only one is kept around. Most of the males wind up on your dinner plate!

Farm terms are naturally some of our very oldest words, and they vary quite a bit from place to place.

"When you raise roosters and hens in your yard..." Where I come from, the yard is the area of grass surrounding the house which is kept mowed. Yard can also refer to an indefinite area around farm buildings- a barnyard. Chickens were traditionally left to forage mostly on their own, picking up insects and worms, eating garbage, and other things I won't specify. A little grain might be scattered as needed. They might be gathered into a small shed at night to protect them from predators.

To answer your question: One might have a specific 'chicken yard' fenced in and including a small building called a henhouse or chicken coop.

Does it sound natural if I say “They have a chicken house with a little play area in their back yard”? Hmm... Chickens don't really play. I suggest: They have a henhouse and chicken yard fenced in behind their house.

shimacatu_sa is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Thank you for answering my questions. Your explanation is very informative. If you were a chicken, it would be better to be born female. The average lifespan of a rooster must be really short.

GoesStation is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

We were glad when our neighbors moved their chicken coop away from the property line to make room for a new garage. (They don't bed their chickens properly and they get quite stinky!)

The coop has a small, enclosed pen attached to it.

Those are the words that come naturally to us here in southwest Ohio, USA.
    I am not a teacher.

SoothingDave is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States