• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Bosnian
      • Home Country:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

My grammar exercises 5

I have tried to use the word "retreat" in my sentences. Would you please correct the mistakes?

1. After her mother died, Maria retreated into herself. She did not answer phone calls, emails or letters, nor did she open the door for her friends, who came to see what was going on.
    2. Some children retreat into themselves to find a refuge from the violence their see in their families.
    3. When the party finished, the guests retreated to their rooms, where some continued to party.
    4. The media asked themselves why the well-know actor had retreated from his successful career after just three films.
    5. After her divorce, Anna retreated to her parent's house in the countryside.
    6. The government had to retreat from their plans to raise taxes after mass protests.
    7. When the flood retreated, it left behind destroyed homes and tons of mud.
    8. I saw Bob arriving to the party and beat a hasty retread. I owned him some money and was in no mood to pay him back.

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: My grammar exercises 5

Quote Originally Posted by Bassim View Post
    I have tried to use the word "retreat" in my sentences. Would you please correct the mistakes?

1. After her mother died, Maria retreated into herself. She did not answer phone calls, emails or letters, nor did she open the door for her friends, who came to see what was going on. However, I'd probably say "open the door to her friends, who came to see how she was".

2. Some children retreat into themselves to find a refuge from the violence their they see in their families.

3. When the party finished, the guests retreated to their rooms, where some continued to party.

4. The media asked themselves why the well-known actor had retreated from his successful career after just three films. I don't find "retreat from a successful career" natural.

5. After her divorce, Anna retreated to her parent's parents' house in the countryside.

6. The government had to retreat from their plans to raise taxes after mass protests. Again, it's not the natural choice here.

7. When the floodwater retreated, it left behind destroyed homes and tons of mud.

8. I saw Bob arriving to at the party and beat a hasty retreat. I owned ​owed him some money and was in no mood to pay him back.
    See above.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

Tarheel is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: My grammar exercises 5

The actor abandoned his successful career

Anna moved to her parents' house

The government abandoned its plans to raise taxes.

(I suppose you could say Anna retreated to her parents' house, but I wouldn't.)