Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I have tried to use the word "retreat" in my sentences. Would you please correct the mistakes?

1. After her mother died, Maria retreated into herself. She did not answer phone calls, emails or letters, nor did she open the door for her friends, who came to see what was going on.
2. Some children retreat into themselves to find a refuge from the violence their see in their families.
3. When the party finished, the guests retreated to their rooms, where some continued to party.
4. The media asked themselves why the well-know actor had retreated from his successful career after just three films.
5. After her divorce, Anna retreated to her parent's house in the countryside.
6. The government had to retreat from their plans to raise taxes after mass protests.
7. When the flood retreated, it left behind destroyed homes and tons of mud.
8. I saw Bob arriving to the party and beat a hasty retread. I owned him some money and was in no mood to pay him back.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have tried to use the word "retreat" in my sentences. Would you please correct the mistakes?

1. After her mother died, Maria retreated into herself. She did not answer phone calls, emails or letters, nor did she open the door for her friends, who came to see what was going on. :tick: However, I'd probably say "open the door to her friends, who came to see how she was".

2. Some children retreat into themselves to find a refuge from the violence [STRIKE]their[/STRIKE] they see in their families.

3. When the party finished, the guests retreated to their rooms, where some continued to party. :tick:

4. The media asked themselves why the well-known actor had retreated from his successful career after just three films. :cross: I don't find "retreat from a successful career" natural.

5. After her divorce, Anna retreated to her [STRIKE]parent's[/STRIKE] parents' house in the countryside.

6. The government had to retreat from their plans to raise taxes after mass protests. :cross: Again, it's not the natural choice here.

7. When the floodwater retreated, it left behind destroyed homes and tons of mud.

8. I saw Bob arriving [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] at the party and beat a hasty retreat. I [STRIKE]owned[/STRIKE] ​owed him some money and was in no mood to pay him back.

See above.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The actor abandoned his successful career

Anna moved to her parents' house

The government abandoned its plans to raise taxes.

(I suppose you could say Anna retreated to her parents' house, but I wouldn't.)

Status
Not open for further replies.