• Post Thanks / Like

Articles in recipes.

AFAIK they omit articles in recipes. I wonder if I should omit them, too, when I tell a recipe.
    Will you be so kind to proofread this one.
    Once I cooked _chicken casserole. Itís from _French cuisine. Thatís how I did it.
    I took several chicken quarters, tossed them in flour; then I sliced _ onion(s?), celery, mushrooms and tomatoes; fried small pieces of rashers and _chicken in a frying pan until brown and placed everything in a casserole.
    Then I added some flour to _fat in the pan, cooked it for 1 minute, added some stock and seasoning and brought to the boil.
    I poured it over _chicken, covered _casserole and cooked it in a moderate oven for one and a half hours.
    I served the chicken with baked potatoes and parsley
    Tnx vy much

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Articles in recipes.

You are correct, articles are usually omitted in recipes. However, in the recipe you posted, you need to add more details. What are the quantities of mushrooms, onions and celery? How many chicken quarters did you use?

I don't know the specifics of your particular recipe, but here are some basic changes I would make (again, the quantities I list are totally arbitrary):

1 lb. chicken (in quarters)
    1/2 cup chopped onions
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    2 large tomatoes, sliced
    1 cup chopped mushrooms
    1/2 cup flour

Moisten chicken parts with water and toss lightly in flour until coated. Put 1 tablespoon of oil into frying pan and heat until coated. Place chicken and vegetables into pan and cook until brown.

Etc, etc.

• Post Thanks / Like

Note that "cup" here refers to a standard US cup. In America, dry ingredients are measured in cups (8 (fluid) ounces, about 237ml), not by weight. In Australia, a metric cup of 250ml is used.

This makes converting very difficult. For example, 1 cup of peanut butter is 258g, but 1 cup of flour is about 120g.

In your recipe, if you're just giving a general idea of the process, and not worried about exact quantities, you'll need to add "some" at certain places:

I cooked chicken casserole. It's from French cuisine. This is how I did it. I took several chicken quarters, tossed them in flour; then I sliced some onions, celery, mushrooms and tomatoes; fried small pieces of bacon and the chicken [you've already mentioned the chicken, so you need the definite article here] in a frying pan until brown, and placed everything in a casserole. Then I added some flour to some fat in the pan, cooked it for 1 minute, added some stock and seasoning and brought it to the boil. I poured it over the chicken, covered the casserole and cooked it in a moderate oven for one and a half hours.

Why do you need articles here? Because this is conversational English. A recipe is like a mathematical formula in a sense, so it doesn't follow the same rules.

• Post Thanks / Like

Great job, Rewboss and Ouish! Thanks a million.