• Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

My friend said that the seller was looking at the cakes in a way that he wanted to ea

I went to a confectionery shop with my friend. My friend said that the seller was looking at the cakes in a way that he wanted to eat them all. I told him that "he might have been" or "might be" (what should we use here "might have been" or "might be"?) eating them every day so why would he look at them like that.

Charlie Bernstein is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: My friend said that the seller was looking at the cakes in a way that he wanted t

Quote Originally Posted by tufguy View Post
    I went to a candy store with my friend. My friend said that the seller was looking at the cakes as if/as though he wanted to eat them all. I told him that he might be eating them every day, so why would he look at them like that?
    My guess: because he wanted to eat them all!
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

Rover_KE is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: My friend said that the seller was looking at the cakes in a way that he wanted t

Yet again, replace the second 'My friend' with the appropriate pronoun. The repetition is very tedious.

tufguy is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post
    Yet again, replace the second 'My friend' with the appropriate pronoun. The repetition is very tedious.

I went to a candy store with my friend. He said that the seller was looking at the cakes as if he wanted to eat them all. I told him that he might be eating them every day so why would he look at them like that?

But I have a question "why not 'might have been eating" instead of 'might be'? Is it because 'might have been' means talking about an incident older than this?

Rover_KE is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Yes.