• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Kurdish
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Jack is more clothed than I/me/I am.

There's these 6 sentences/dialogues that which way/s of writing/wording them is grammatically correct or not has been bothering me for a while, so I'd appreciate it if you could give me a definitive answer to tell me which one/s are correct or incorrect. If only one option/sentence/word is correct, then simply pick that one, if more than one of them is correct, then that's okay too, and if all of them are wrong, then you may give your own answer and write the sentence in the way you believe is the correct way of writing it. Also, this might be asking too much, but I'd appreciate it a lot more if you'd explain to me why the incorrect ones are incorrect.

Note 1: this is not my homework assignment or anything like that, and you may answer my questions whenever you want, today, tomorrow, next week, next month, I just like English and want to know more and perfect my English, I apologize if my thread might give a "help me with my homework thread" vibe.

Note 2: i asked all the 6 questions in the same thread because I think it's more efficient this way, rather than making a thread for each of the 6 sentences and become known as a spammer or a troll poster. If this is against the rules, then just let me know and I'd change the thread.

Anyway, here are the sentences:

1)
    A-Jack is more clothed than I.
    B-Jack is more clothed than me.
    C-Jack is more clothed than I am.

2)
    A-They each have only a 10-20 second life span before the demonic fiend, Mario, crushes their existence.
    B-They each only have a 10-20 second life span before the demonic fiend, Mario, crushes their existence.
    (In A "only" comes after "have", while in B, "only" is before "have").

3)
    A- A beautiful and soft-spoken long haired girl from Yale University who is a novel writer whom is usually seen at the river bank looking for people who might fit into the role of her novel.

B- A beautiful and soft-spoken long haired girl from Yale University which is a novel writer who is usually seen at the river bank looking for people who might fit into the role of her novel.

C- A beautiful and soft-spoken long haired girl from Yale University who is a novel writer that is usually seen at the river bank looking for people who might fit into the role of her novel.

D- A beautiful and soft-spoken long haired girl from Yale University who is a novel writer , and is usually seen at the river bank looking for people who might fit into the role of her novel.

4)
    A-The 2010 version is way better than the trash that is the 1996 version.
    B-The 2010 version is way better than the trash that was the 1996 version.

5)
    Betty: you're clearly a villain, you point your finger at other people, judge them, and force your ideas about how different kinds of people act upon them, that's how villains behave.
    Jack: But...but...Betty....you're also pointing your finger at him him, and you're also forcing your idea of how villains act upon him.........going by your logic, wouldn't that make you a villain as well?
    Betty: Um, well........I'm a main charcater, so it's
    A-(justified for in my case)
    B-(justified for my case)
    C-(justified in my case)

6)
    Ellie: That happiness doesn't belong to them!..... it belongs to me!
    Leo: Your arrogance knows no bounds.
    Ellie: Ahh, but you can't deny that arrogance is such a beautiful thing, can you?
    Leo: .........I believe you've mistaken
    A-(arrogance for confidence)
    B-(confidence for arrogance)
    , confidence is the beautiful one, arrogance is nothing but a disgusting emotion.

Thank you for reading.
    Last edited by Rover_KE; 24-Oct-2017 at 22:13. Reason: Fading out unrelated questions. See below.

Rover_KE is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: What is the grammatically correct from of these sentences?

Welcome to the forum, Marcu.

You will notice that I have changed your thread title, as titles must contain words or phrases used in your post.

If you consider how long it took you to type your post, and that it has taken me ten minutes to type this reply, you are not going to get all your questions answered at once.

In fact, we insist that unrelated questions are asked in separate threads, with a title specific to each. Please don't post all the other questions at the same time—wait for answers between each one. You can post #2 as soon as you like.

I'll answer #1.

1) They are all unnatural sentences—'more clothed' is not used in English.

You might mean 'better clothed' (wearing better quality clothing) or 'wearing more clothes'.

So you could say

A. Jack is wearing more clothes than I.

B. Jack is wearing more clothes than me.

C. Jack is wearing more clothes than I am.

They are all correct, with only small differences (unimportant to me) which other members might choose to point out.
    Last edited by Rover_KE; 24-Oct-2017 at 22:11.