Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    GoodTaste is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    2,568

    has passed double-blind, random-assignment, placebo-controlled test

    Should"random-assignment" be "random-assigned"?

    ----------------------
    Another problem is that TCM practitioners are used to make exaggerative and dubious claims about its efficacy and fool too many people. Although almost none of TCM treatments has passed double-blind, random-assignment, placebo-controlled test, most Chinese believe that TCM has always been the best medicine and can cure almost any diseases. The national pride complicates the issue, and criticizing TCM is unthinkable to many Chinese people and almost like committing a traitorous act.

    Source
    Last edited by Rover_KE; 24-Oct-2017 at 08:16. Reason: Enlarging font

  2. #2
    GoesStation is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    22,301

    Re: has passed double-blind, random-assignment, placebo-controlled test

    Like the other two modifiers before "test", random-assignment is a compound adjective. I think it's okay as written. I don't think your change would be correct.
    I am not a teacher.

  3. #3
    Tarheel's Avatar
    Tarheel is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    23,345

    Re: has passed double-blind, random-assignment, placebo-controlled test

    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTaste View Post
    Should"random-assignment" be "random-assigned"?

    ----------------------
    Another problem is that TCM practitioners are used to making exaggerative and dubious claims about its efficacy and fool too many people. Although almost none of the TCM treatments have passed double-blind, random-assignment, placebo-controlled tests, most Chinese believe that TCM has always been the best medicine and can cure almost any disease. National pride complicates the issue, and criticizing TCM is unthinkable to many Chinese people and almost like committing a traitorous act.

    Source
    Please note the changes.
    Last edited by Tarheel; 25-Oct-2017 at 13:23. Reason: Fix typo

  4. #4
    GoodTaste is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    2,568

    Re: has passed double-blind, random-assignment, placebo-controlled test

    Quote Originally Posted by GoesStation View Post
    Like the other two modifiers before "test", random-assignment is a compound adjective. I think it's okay as written. I don't think your change would be correct.
    How about "randomly-assigned"? The original text is: has passed double-blind, random-assignment, placebo-controlled test.

    There are three adjectives before "test": Adj (1): double-blind, Adj (2):random-assignment, Adj (3): placebo-controlled.

    The form "random-assignment" itself is a noun. It serves as an adjective in the sentence.

    The form "randomly-assigned" itself is an adjective. Why is it wrong to use it there?

  5. #5
    GoodTaste is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    2,568

    Re: has passed double-blind, random-assignment, placebo-controlled test

    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    Please note the changes.
    Your second change or rewriting is "Although almost none of the TCM treatments have passed double-blind, random-assignment, placebo-controlled tess."

    The subject of the clause is "none", and the verb is "have passed." So we have "none have passed," which is special to me. It seems to me that "none has passed" is grammatical.

  6. #6
    GoesStation is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    22,301

    Re: has passed double-blind, random-assignment, placebo-controlled test

    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTaste View Post
    The form "random-assignment" itself is a noun. It serves as an adjective in the sentence.

    The form "randomly-assigned" itself is an adjective. Why is it wrong to use it there?
    You'd have the phrase randomly-assigned test. That's a grammatical phrase but it doesn't make sense because it's not the test which is assigned randomly. I understand a random-assignment test to be a type of test in which the dependent variables are assigned at random to the subjects.
    I am not a teacher.

  7. #7
    GoodTaste is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    2,568

    Re: has passed double-blind, random-assignment, placebo-controlled test

    Looks like that "randomly-assigned" is quite misleading.

  8. #8
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    25,679

    Re: has passed double-blind, random-assignment, placebo-controlled test

    I think the point is that scientific procedures like this have certain traditional names. So if it's called a "random-assignment test", that's what it is. You don't get to change the name of the test because you don't like the grammar.
    In any case, I just did a Google search, and it seems that it's usually called a "random assignment test" without the hyphen - although the other two are hyphenated.

  9. #9
    Tarheel's Avatar
    Tarheel is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    23,345

    Re: has passed double-blind, random-assignment, placebo-controlled test

    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTaste View Post
    Your second change or rewriting is "Although almost none of the TCM treatments have passed double-blind, random-assignment, placebo-controlled tess."

    The subject of the clause is "none", and the verb is "have passed." So we have "none have passed," which is special to me. It seems to me that "none has passed" is grammatical.
    The word "tess" was a typo. I fixed it.

    [Edited to note that it should read: "None of the treatments have passed double-blind...tests."]
    Last edited by Tarheel; 25-Oct-2017 at 13:38. Reason: Add something

  10. #10
    GoodTaste is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    2,568

    Re: has passed double-blind, random-assignment, placebo-controlled test

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    I think the point is that scientific procedures like this have certain traditional names. So if it's called a "random-assignment test", that's what it is. You don't get to change the name of the test because you don't like the grammar.
    In any case, I just did a Google search, and it seems that it's usually called a "random assignment test" without the hyphen - although the other two are hyphenated.

    Can we simply use "randomized" instead of "random assignment"? I read a headline article in NEJM (the leading medical science magazine in the world), which reads:

    We performed two phase 3, randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind, parallel-group trials comparing mepolizumab (100 mg in METREX, 100 or 300 mg in METREO) with placebo, given as a subcutaneous injection every 4 weeks for 52 weeks in patients with COPD who had a history of moderate or severe exacerbations while taking inhaled glucocorticoid-based triple maintenance therapy. (Source)


Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •