• Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

The verb emerging as a conjunction

Good evening I want to ask this questions;

1: What is the suject of the verb 'emerging'
    2:What is the other way of writing this sentence. More simple one. Separated with points.

Thank you for the answer

Flowering in the spring, they become dormant in the summer once the flowers and leaves die back, emerging above ground as a shoot from the underground bulb in early spring.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 28-Oct-2017 at 20:27. Reason: Fixed the layout of the post

Charlie Bernstein is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: The verb emerging as a conjunction

Quote Originally Posted by suffi12 View Post
    Good evening:

I want to ask these questions:

1: What is the subject of the verb 'emerging'?

Verbs don't always have subjects. Sentences do. The subject of the sentence is they.

2: What is another way of writing this sentence more simply, separated with points?

What do you mean by points? Periods (full stops)?

Thank you for the answer.

Flowering in the spring, they become dormant in the summer once the flowers and leaves die back, emerging above ground as a shoot from the underground bulb in early spring.
    There are a lot of ways to simplify it. One is by making it two sentences (subjects in bold):

They flower in the spring and become dormant in the summer, once the flowers and leave die back. They emerge above ground as a shoot from the underground bulb in the early spring.
    Last edited by Rover_KE; 28-Oct-2017 at 22:09. Reason: Fixing an additional typo.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.