• Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

does the "search" application exist

Hello everybody!

I tried to send my private message to one of the listed members/operators but all in vain. It does not seem to work. That is why I am sending my question here. It is about "search" application, which used to exist.

I don't know what has happened to the "search" application. I used to search a thing that came into my mind and there was no problem finding it. Has the application been cancelled? The application used to tell me to type in my password, followed by a word I was looking for. It is nowhere to be found. Could you tell me where I can find it or maybe it is no longer in use.

Thank you
    Last edited by JACEK1; 29-Oct-2017 at 22:37.

2. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Re: does the "search" application exist

What device and system are you using? Search is a very sensitive thing and easily affected by any changes. We have recently been updating some important software and that may have affected this. If this is the case, it will be fixed quickly.

3. Key Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

I am not a very technically-oriented person but all I know is that my wife and I use a laptop. I do not know what system it is but I have just remembered the name of the application, namely, "advanced search".

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Can you tell us at least if the laptop you use is made by Apple (Macbook, for example) or some other brand? And when you want to go on the internet, do you click on Internet Explorer, Safari, Firefox, Chrome or something else? The name of your browser should be in the top left-hand corner of the screen you are looking at now.

Are you talking about the "Google Custom Search" box in the top right-hand corner of the screen that appears only when you are using this forum?
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

5. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

I think the issue has been fixed. Please let me know if I am wrong.

6. Key Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

I do not mean the feature that you are talking about, namely, "Google Custom Search". It does not seem to work. As far as I remember, the application that I mean used to be located somewhere below the now existing "search" application. It is no use using it anyway, because it hardly ever responds. Every time I click on it, a hand with a pointing forefinger appears over the "search" application and nothing happens. "Google Custom Search" directs me outside the forum.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 31-Oct-2017 at 15:44. Reason: nothing. Hit it accidentally

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Are you sure you're scrolling far enough down the list of results with the Google Custom Search. Usually it gives external hits first, but if you carry on down the list you should find the UE links.

This
    is the page of hits I get when I type "can't or cannot" (without the quotation marks) into the Google Custom Search box. At the top is a box of external hits but all the ones underneath it are from UE.

I'd never even noticed the "Advanced Search" option before. I've just tried it and it works OK for me.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.