• Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

If the ozone layer is destroyed, most living things on the earth will disappear.

Good evening teachers! Could you please help me with those sentences:

1) If the ozone layer is destroyed, most living things on the earth will disappear.
    2) If the ozone layer were destroyed, most living things on the earth would disappear.

I personally think that two of them are correct. Because the conditional 1 prefers to something that may happen in the future, it is correct. It is correct or incorrect in the second sentence because it is unreal at present but in the future, it will probably take place. Which one is correct or two of them?

Charlie Bernstein is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: If the ozone layer is destroyed, most living things on the earth will disappear.

I agree.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

GoesStation is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: If the ozone layer is destroyed, most living things on the earth will disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by Son Ho View Post
    I personally think that two both of them are correct. Because the conditional 1 prefers to something that may happen in the future, it is correct. It is correct or incorrect in the second sentence because it is unreal at present but in the future, it will probably take place. Which one is correct or two of them are they both?
    /
    I am not a teacher.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Son Ho View Post
    It is correct or incorrect in the second sentence because it is unreal at present but in the future, it will probably take place. Which one is correct or two of them?
    The second sentence refers to an imaginary present -it isn't true- or an unlikely future. If you want to say that something will probably take place, use the first conditional.