What this citrus fruit is called in English?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aamir Tariq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
What are they called in English? What do you call this citrus fruit in English? We call them "Kinnow" in Pakistan. And I think they are also called "Kinnow" in Pakistani English. Unlike oranges, they are peeled off and separated into pieces/segments to be eaten.

However, in other parts of the world they have different names. Like you may call them "Clementine" in the USA or "Tangerine" in the UK. May be I am wrong. "Tangerine" may be different from "Clementine" or may be "Tangerine" and "Clementine" are two different names of the same citrus fruit. Do let me know what the citrus fruit in the pictures is called in your part of the English speaking world.

Regards,
Aamir The Global Citizen

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 0

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yup, I peel oranges that way and pull them apart, too.

Is there a difference between tangerines and clementines? That's a question for finer minds than mine.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Those look like the very sweet citrus that appears in American stores around this time of year. They're variously called "clementines" or "mandarins". I think of them as a variety of tangerine.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I can never tell the difference between tangerines, clementines and mandarins either. I rely on the sign in the greengrocer's to tell me which one I'm buying! I just know they're all smaller than oranges, they're easier to peel and it's easier to separate the segments.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I don't worry about the distinctions either- they're all delicious and convenient.

Status
Not open for further replies.