• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Could you please give me some room

Once I was travelling by a public transport and the girl sitting next to me was sitting too close to me (she was literally pushing herself against me) when there was a lot of space on the seat then what could I have asked her? "Could you please move away?" or "Could you please give me some room" or "Could you please move aside a bit".

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Could you please give me some room

Quote Originally Posted by tufguy View Post
    Once One day/afternoon, evening, I was travelling by a on public transport and the girl sitting next to me was sitting too close to me (she was literally pushing herself against me) when there was a lot of space on the seat. then What could I have asked said to her?
    1. "Could you please move away?" or
    2. "Could you please give me some room?" or
    3. "Could you please move aside a bit?"
    See my corrections above. I would say "Could you move over a bit?" if it was a two-person seat (on a bus, for example) or "Could you move up a bit?" if it was a bench seat (the ones that run along under the windows of a subway train, for example). All 3 of your suggestions are OK although #1 suggests that you want her to move further than the other two.

It would be more helpful and more natural if you had told us what type of public transport you were on. It's easier for us to imagine the situation if you start with, for example, "I was on a bus ..." or "I was on a train ...".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

tufguy is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    See my corrections above. I would say "Could you move over a bit?" if it was a two-person seat (on a bus, for example) or "Could you move up a bit?" if it was a bench seat (the ones that run along under the windows of a subway train, for example). All 3 of your suggestions are OK although #1 suggests that you want her to move further than the other two.

It would be more helpful and more natural if you had told us what type of public transport you were on. It's easier for us to imagine the situation if you start with, for example, "I was on a bus ..." or "I was on a train ...".
    It was a shared auto not a regular one but bigger than that.

If we are standing at a counter and we want someone to move aside a bit then also can we say this "Could you please move aside a bit or could you please move over a bit"? If the bar tender wants someone to move away from the counter so that others can get access to the counter then can he say the same? "Could you please move a bit further away" is it correct as well?

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Taxi share?

tufguy is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    Taxi share?
    No shared auto rickshaw.

emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

It was a shared auto - not a regular one but bigger than that.

If we are standing at a counter and we want someone to move aside a bit then also can we say this "Could you please move aside a bit?" or "Could you please move over a bit"? If the bartender wants someone to move away from the counter so that others can get access to the counter then can he say the same? Is "Could you please move a bit further away" is it correct as well?
    No, it was a shared auto-rickshaw.
    If you're in a car or similar vehicle (I would say a rickshaw is similar enough), then use "Could you move/slide over a bit please?"

You could say the same thing when standing at a counter.

Yes, the bartender could say that.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.