• Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Serbo-Croatian
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Europe

Red face Is this sentence correctly written

"On ZZZ date, the citizens of XXX state at the democratic referendum voted and decided the XXX state became independent state, for the second time in its history"

This is a part of the speech delivered by one ambassador at the reception of its country National day. I am wondering is this sentence grammatically correct? I have this speech in written, so there are no doubts that I maybe overheard something. Frankly, what sounds odd to me is this "BECAME".

Thank you

Jorgo

Roman55 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • France

Re: Is this sentence correctly written

Can you be more specific about where you found this speech, and possibly provide a link to it? It is full of mistakes, and became is just one of them.
    I am not a teacher

Jorgo is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Serbo-Croatian
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Europe

Re: Is this sentence correctly written

Quote Originally Posted by Roman55 View Post
    Can you be more specific about where you found this speech, and possibly provide a link to it? It is full of mistakes, and became is just one of them.
    No, as I said, this was the speech delivered by ambassador of one country (I put XXX as a name of the country, because it`s irrelevant) at the occasion of National day of its state. On the following day, he delivered his speech to all participants in the festivity, to have it in written. Because I ques that ambassadors should be proficient in English, I just copied this part of the speech, for a double check with you. I am also aware that in some other part of the speech he made some mistakes. Beside "became", what else did you find wrong in this sentence?