• Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

arresting cable 1

Hello

Yesterday I learnt that an arresting cable is a device used for slowing down aircraft that land on an aircraft carrier. Now that I know what I am talking about, I can ask you a question based on the fragment below (paragraph 4.6.1).

What does "Each panel shall be conditioned by running 50 cycles in the cable abrasion tester ....." mean?

4.6.1 Abrasion of arresting cable (composition L only). Three 250 by 150 by 3 mm (10 by 6 by 1/8 inch) test panels should be prepared as specified in 4.5.3. Each panel shall be conditioned by running 50 cycles in the cable abrasion tester stated herein before the determination of the abrasion of the arresting cable. Each panel will be used to cut a new 3-mm (l / 8-inch) diameter, 300 mm (12-inch) long cold-rolled steel rod. The diameter of each rod shall be measured before the nearest 0.0025 mm (0.1 mil) in this place which will come in contact with the test panel. The rod shall be held in a jig in the test apparatus as shown on figure 1. After completion of the 200 cycles in the abrasion machine, the rod shall be removed from the jig and the diameter of the rod shall be measured to the nearest 0.0025 mm (1 roil) in the same ten places. The difference in thickness in each of the places shall be computed. The wear of each rod shall be the average of these values. The average of the wear of the three rods should be computed, and this value shall be used to determine conformance.

Thank you.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Re: arresting cable 1

I think that it means that the panel is tested 50 times in the tester before any actual use.

J&K Tutoring Guest

My reading is that it is the cable that is being tested, not the panel. New paint would logically be more abrasive than old paint so, to more accurately simulate field conditions (old paint), the test panels are first 'rubbed in' before being used to test the cable strands.
    Last edited by J&K Tutoring; 04-Nov-2017 at 02:39.

JACEK1 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

What do 'rubbed in' and "Each panel shall be conditioned ...." mean?
    Last edited by JACEK1; 04-Nov-2017 at 06:47.

J&K Tutoring Guest

They don't want to test with new paint, as a carrier deck would not always have new paint. Testers want to simulate typical conditions, and it's important that the test conditions are always the same, so they would run the same sort of test 50 times on new paint before inserting the test sample in the machine.