Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Hello, Could you please check my draft in terms of grammar specially of pronouns. I have repeatedly used he/she in my draft which seems incorrect to me; I therefore will be much obliged if I am guided in this respect.

Writing something on any topic requires a writer to have ample knowledge of the topic he/she is writing about. Equally, he/she should be fully conversant with grammar and vocabulary. Faulty sentences rife with errors in tenses and inappropriate use of vocabulary will immediately make readers fed up and compel him/her to leave reading.

Writing can be categorized into two main parts i.e. fiction and non-fiction. Fiction writing includes unreal, imaginary writing whereas nonfiction involves real, factual writing based on facts and real events. Fiction writing may involve genres like horror, suspense, thrill, mystery to name a few; whereas non-fiction writing contains genres like essays, memoirs, biographies, and journalism. Scientific, technical and economic writings are also some of the topics of non fiction writing.

Hatim Hussain

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You can replace every "he/she" with "they" and then change the following verb form to the third person plural. It's a common usage to avoid the awkward "he/she" problem.

hatimhussain

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
dear emsr2d2
Thank you very much for precious advice. Could you please have another look into my draft and let me know if my draft is correct in terms of grammar and sentence structure. May it be in very few words please.

Hatim Hussain

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
​[STRIKE]D[/STRIKE][STRIKE]ear emsr2d2[/STRIKE] Unnecessary. You're not writing a formal letter.

Thank you very much for your [STRIKE]precious[/STRIKE] advice. Could you please have another look [STRIKE]into[/STRIKE] at my draft and let me know if [STRIKE]my draft[/STRIKE] it is correct in terms of grammar and sentence structure?

[STRIKE]May it be in very few words please.[/STRIKE] We will take as many words as necessary to make everything clear.

[STRIKE]Hatim Hussain[/STRIKE] Unnecessary. We can see your username on every post.

See above. I'll have a look at the rest of your draft when I have time.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello. Could you please check my draft in terms of grammar, especially [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] the pronouns? I have repeatedly used "he/she" in my draft which seems incorrect to me; I [STRIKE]therefore[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]will[/STRIKE] would be much obliged if [STRIKE]I am guided[/STRIKE] you would guide me in this respect.

Writing something on any topic requires a writer to have ample knowledge of the topic [STRIKE]he/she is[/STRIKE] they are writing about. Equally, [STRIKE]he/she[/STRIKE] they should be fully conversant with grammar and vocabulary. Faulty sentences, rife with tense errors [STRIKE]in tenses[/STRIKE] and inappropriate use of vocabulary, will immediately [STRIKE]make[/STRIKE] annoy readers [STRIKE]fed up[/STRIKE] and compel [STRIKE]him/her[/STRIKE] them to [STRIKE]leave[/STRIKE] stop reading.

Writing can be [STRIKE]categorized[/STRIKE] divided/split into two main [STRIKE]parts[/STRIKE] ​categories [STRIKE]i.e.[/STRIKE] - fiction and non-fiction. Fiction [STRIKE]writing[/STRIKE] includes unreal, imaginary writing whereas non-fiction [STRIKE]involves[/STRIKE] is [STRIKE]real, factual[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]writing[/STRIKE] based on facts and real events. Fiction [STRIKE]writing[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]may[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]involve[/STRIKE] includes genres like horror, suspense, thrillers and mystery, to name but a few. [STRIKE]whereas[/STRIKE] Non-fiction [STRIKE]writing[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]contains[/STRIKE] includes genres like essays, memoirs, biographies, and journalism. Scientific, technical and economic [STRIKE]writings[/STRIKE] pieces are also [STRIKE]some of the topics[/STRIKE] examples of non-fiction. [STRIKE]writing.[/STRIKE]

[STRIKE]Hatim Hussain[/STRIKE] Unnecessary.

See above.

Status
Not open for further replies.