Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Iran
The following is the topic: "Describe something you really want to buy in the future."
Now, is this paragraph below OK as a conclusion, especially in terms of verb tenses?

All in all, an e-book reader clearly has a lot of good points over paper books. Although I am not used to such device, I think I’ll soon get used to it as I begin to use it. To me, this will probably be an important device—it is much more likely to fulfill my appetite for reading than printed books do now. It is going to be my closest companion whenever I make a journey. I think if I had owned this device many years ago, my reading would increase significantly. In fact, I suppose this digital book reader could help me to improve and develop my reading skills. Besides, it might well be the most important utilitarian electronic device I have ever had.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Who gave you this topic to write about?

Sarah-Betty

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Iran
No body. I am practicing on my own. I wrote it. I chose the topic in the Internet.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Nobody. I am practicing on my own. I wrote it. I chose the topic on the Internet.

I thought it was simply called an e-book. Not an e-book reader.

Sarah-Betty

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Iran
Because the topic is related to something that we want to have in the future, I just want to know if the use of those verb tenses is OK.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's an e-reader. You read e-books on it.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
OK. (I've never read an e-book.)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The verb tenses are fine. (There are other minor problems.)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The following is the topic: "Describe something you really want to buy in the future."
[STRIKE]Now,[/STRIKE] Is [STRIKE]this[/STRIKE] the paragraph below OK as a conclusion, especially [STRIKE]in terms of[/STRIKE] with regard to [STRIKE]verb[/STRIKE] tenses?

All in all, an [STRIKE]e-book[/STRIKE] e-readers clearly [STRIKE]has[/STRIKE] have a lot of [STRIKE]good points[/STRIKE] advantages over [STRIKE]paper[/STRIKE] traditional books. Although I am not used to suchdevices, I think I’ll soon get used to [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] them [STRIKE]as[/STRIKE] when I begin to use [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] them. [STRIKE]To me,[/STRIKE] In my opinion, [STRIKE]this[/STRIKE] they will probably become [STRIKE]an[/STRIKE] important. [STRIKE]device—[/STRIKE] [STRIKE][STRIKE]it is[/STRIKE][/STRIKE] They are much more likely to fulfill (in BrE, it's "fulfil") my appetite for reading than printed books do now. [STRIKE]It is[/STRIKE] They are going to be my closest companion whenever I [STRIKE]make a journey[/STRIKE] travel. I think if I had owned [STRIKE]this device[/STRIKE] one many years ago, my reading would have increased significantly. In fact, I suppose [STRIKE]this[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]digital book[/STRIKE] e-readers could help me to improve and develop my reading skills. [STRIKE]Besides,[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] They might well be the most important [STRIKE]utilitarian[/STRIKE] and useful electronic devices I [STRIKE]have[/STRIKE] ever [STRIKE]had[/STRIKE] own.

See above.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Two things, Sarah-Betty. First, I think Ems meant to cross out "an" (in front of "e-readers"). Thus it would be:

All in all, e-readers clearly have a lot of advantages....

Second, you don't need "to" in front of "improve". Thus it would be:

In fact, I suppose e-readers would help me improve....

Status
Not open for further replies.