• Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: The use of AF in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Aamir Tariq View Post
    The Periscope app is available for free. You can download it from the Google Play store, if you have Android. I love this app because it has brought me closer to the native speakers. I really enjoy watching live streams. It is popular in both the USA [no comma] and the Great Britain [or the United Kingdom] because since the people from these countries go live over it.
    See above. I struck out the last definite article because only some people from those countries use the app; including the makes it sound like every person in those countries uses it.
    I am not a teacher.

2. Moderator
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I started adding asterisks as soon as I saw the contents of the thread, before I had even seen the multiple suggestions that the OP do it.
    Thanks for editing post #1 in the first place.

Sorry but I don't know what you mean by "OP". Can you please tell me what OP is?

You said, "I've saved you a job." What does that mean? I don't have a job on this forum.
    'The OP' means 'the original poster' (that's you, Aamir). [It can also be used in other contexts to mean 'the original post'.]

The job we asked you to do was edit your post with asterisks. Ems did that for you, so she saved you a job – in other words, she did the work so that you don't have to do it.

Key Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

So, it is just a non-standard way of putting stress on something or making it more emphatic, like
    "I am high af" means "I'm over-drunk", or I'm extremely drunk". and it has nothing to do with comparison and since it's non-standard, no grammar rules apply here.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this is the conclusion I can make from your post.
    You're exactly right on every point.

In fact, you're right AF!
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

4. Senior Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

Quote Originally Posted by Piscean View Post
    There is no need to apologise, Aamir Tariq. You did not intend to cause offence. In an ideal word, your original post would bother nobody. I, personally, agree with J&K (post #14) and expressed similar views in this forum several years ago. However, I understand the points Tdol made (post #15).

UE can be of real value to young learners. If our insistence on writing f**k in full leads to young learners in some countries being deprived of access to UE, then I will go along with asterisks.
    Thanks, now what is UE? kindly write within parenthesis what an abbreviation stands for, when you are using it for the first time in a thread. Because every learner from different countries doesn't understand every abbreviation. It would be of great help.

5. Senior Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

Quote Originally Posted by GoesStation View Post
    We must live in a yellow submarine.
    Would you please let me know what you meant by typing "We must live in a yellow submarine"?

I googled it and I only learned that it was a song by The Beatles.

However, here is the conclusion I drew from your post.

The world has become a global village, we have gotten more closer than ever before owing to new innovations in science and technology so we should have developed an understanding of how we communicate with each other as well as we should have gained some knowledge about different products that are available on the internet for everyone (in the world) to use.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Thanks, now what is UE? kindly write within parenthesis what an abbreviation stands for, when you are using it for the first time in a thread. Because every learner from different countries doesn't understand every abbreviation. It would be of great help.
    UE is Using English - this forum!
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Thanks, now what is UE? kindly write within parenthesis what an abbreviation stands for, when you are using it for the first time in a thread. Because not every learner understands every abbreviation. It would be of great help.

Or:

It would be a great help.

You will find that UE is a common abbreviation here.

8. Moderator
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Would you please let me know what you meant by typing "We must live in a yellow submarine"?

I googled it and I only learned that it was a song by The Beatles.
    It certainly is. I merely thought Piscean and I were apparently the only people unaware of the term "AF". A logical conclusion would be that we live cut off from society, like submariners. The entry of periscopes into the discussion encouraged my folly.

A little tweak of the Beatles lyric gave me a mildly clever way to express this, for which I was awarded with at least one "like".
    I am not a teacher.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I wasn't aware of the use of "AF" in this way though I could probably have worked it out from context had I seen it somewhere. However, I don't use any of the apps or websites you mentioned, and my friends, family and I all use full words and correct punctuation in our emails, text messages and any other written material. It's a generational thing, I think.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

10. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

I am extremely sorry for using it without asterisks, I shouldn't have used it and I had no intention to offend anyone at all.
    I know that- don't worry about it.

Page 3 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 5 Last