• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Verification Image Issue

Hello Moderators,

I had a problem to register and post here with the verification image issue for quite a few days. Just the verification image issue, and the rest is fine. I speculate that your website adopts Google relevant technics which cannot make verification image shown on my computer screen with my IP address, as Google is blocked from China, where I am located, when I intended to register on USingEnglish.

I also looked for whether there's an email address available so I could wirte to you and you could help me to register. Unfortunately I don't find any way how to contact you.

Finally I had to ask three strange forum fellower on another forum who are outside of China to help me register here. Two of them ignored me. Probably they speculated I might have had any hidden agenda, and another person kindly offer his/her help to me about registering. We registered twice. For the first time, I didn't get the email for activation. And the second time, we tried different email address, and we succeeded.

I was so excited, but when I tried to post on the forum. I encountered the same problem--verification image, which cannot show with my normal IP address. I was so frustrated.

It has burdened me so much that the strange forum fellower to spend his/her time to help me, and I wouldn't possibly ask her more to do anything for me further. I decided to give up...

Suddenly I think I probably need to try a VNP which didn't work fo quite a few day ago. Fortunately it works this time, so I am able to discern the verification image and try to post my story about this here.

I'm not a drama queen, and it is not my intention to kick up a fuss via elaborating this, but I just hope you could possbily understand the problem and frustration of mine with empathy. In case any other my country fellowers would like to register on the forum, they likely meet the same issue which blocks them out. What's more, the VNP I use is free but it is not stable, and China government tries their best to block the usage of all kinds of VNP by all means. I'm worried the VNP wouldn't work again one day, and I'm unable to be here again. I just want to learn English.

I wonder if you could possibly consider to find a solution about this in the future, no matter how long it would take, and I would greatly apprecite for the consideration and any efforts if you would like to make.

Thank you!

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Verification Image Issue

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear that you had some problems and I'm sure that the administrators will be grateful for the information.

I think you mean that you are using a VPN (not VNP). Does your browser block other verification images? We are aware that the Chinese authorities put some limitations on internet usage so is that perhaps the issue.

The good news is that now that you have registered, you shouldn't have to use the verification image facility again (as far as I know).
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

3. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Hello emsr2d2,

Thank you very much for your welcome and response.

My bad. I meant "VPN" but not "VNP". I still need to fill the code from Verification Image, being a newcomer. I guess I will be promoted with more permission without dientifiying the verfication image, once I prove that I am not a spammer when my posts reach certain quantity. So currently this would not be an issue for me any more now.

Yes, the browser blocks me to discern the verification image. To be more exacty, it is not about the brower, because it doesn't work either if I change any browser, but the technics the your website adopts is blocked from China. I speculate the verification image is from Google. I searched from the Internet and tried to find out the reason why we cannot discern the verification image from some websites when we try to register. Some IT-savvy Chinese Internet users say it is because those websites adopt the images from Google, something like this. Well, there are some verification codes on other forums I can discern from my browser, and I guess they adopt different technics.

I also tries to contact moderators here previously via a feedback form on your webpage that allows us to submit problems if we encounter. Unfortunately there is also a verifiction image required before I tries to submit.

Most of us, ordinary people, don't have a say to Chinese authorities. None of them would likely listen to us about this out of their political concern. I assume there are aslo other persons who are from China will be blocked with the verification image out of here with the same problem.

I was very frustrated because I encountered the similar problems from other English forums before my VPN can work again.

I'm very grateful that UsingEnglish and its staff generously offer the free service for us to help us learn English, but just hope you could possibly consider the issue and find a solution for other people from China who face the similar problem in the future.

Thank you for your reading and attention!

Best regards,
    iclearwater100

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

We have a lot of forum users who are based in China so I assume there must be a way round it. I will leave this thread for the admins to deal with now as they are in charge of the technical side of things.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

5. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

I will pass your concerns on to the webmaster, but we do have many users from China who are accessing the site, and I would think that many are doing that without recourse to VPNs.
    Last edited by Tdol; 08-Dec-2017 at 12:15.

6. Moderator
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

iclearwater100, you may like to know that when you have made 10 posts you can send private messages to the forum's other Chinese-speaking members for advice and/or chat so get posting.

You can find them by clicking on the Member Info of contributors.

Here are two to get you started:

Matthew Wai

tedmc
    Last edited by Rover_KE; 07-Dec-2017 at 13:48.

7. VIP Member
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Given the system in that country, I would be very wary of giving in a PM either information about myself, or ways of getting round the system. In these days of electronic surveillance, we cannot be sure that PMs are really private.

8. Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Hi iclearwater100, sorry you were having problems registering. We were indeed using Google's reCAPTCHA service for the verification image. I have now switched the forum to use another method in the hope that this fixes the issues you experienced. Let me know if that helps at all. :)
    I'm not a teacher, so please consider any advice I give in that context.

9. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Let's see if that improves things.

10. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Hi Everyone,

Thank you very much for your response(s) and kind help. Now I can post on the forums without using VPN.

I didn't expect that this issue could have been solved overnight at all.

Red5, it burdens me so much that you said sorry.

There leaves nothing for me to say, but heartfelt appreciation again and again, and again...

Best regards,
    iclearwater100