Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Is it correct English to say "Wishing you lots of love, caring and prosperity in the New Year"? Am not sure about the "caring" part. Thank you.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You're right. It's not natural.

J

J&K Tutoring

It doesn't stand up to much scrutiny, but it is the kind of line commonly dashed off in greeting cards this time of year. A more grammatical (but rather less poetic) sentence would be: 'I hope that you receive lots of love and caring from others and prosperity in business during the next year.'

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hm. I don't think it's natural to mention business in a greeting card. Wishing someone prosperity is already pushing it a bit. This might seem a little maudlin, but season's greetings aren't usually about getting rich.

J

J&K Tutoring

Charlie B- That was precisely my point in saying, "rather less poetic". It is possible, but certainly difficult, to separate prosperity from business, yet this kind of sentiment does appear as expressed, hence the OP. I doubt Rohanasm made it up. Mr. Spock often said, "Live long and prosper." I never thought he was talking about getting rich!

There are many different relationships that generate seasonal greeting cards, and some of them are certainly business related. Why would not a associate/supplier/client wish prosperity on a colleague? And do we not hope that our loved ones are successful in business? "Prosperity" is the very softest of words to use in wishing financial success to our friends and family.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
A more grammatical (but rather less poetic) sentence would be: 'I hope that you receive lots of love and caring from others and prosperity in business during the next year.'

I'd still use "care" there, not "caring".

J

J&K Tutoring

Modern usage (correct or otherwise) seems to be dividing care from caring. Care has rather come to be synonymous with nursing, husbandry or responsibility in terms like health care, nursing care, car care, etc. Caring is left to cover feelings of empathy, warmth, and well-wishes.

If we say, 'I hope you receive care from others' (as you suggest), it sounds as if you need assistance in performing the normal functions of human life.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Charlie B- That was precisely my point in saying . . . .

I know. I agree that "business" is a bad word choice for a greeting card. Thanks!

I've gotten lots of holiday greeting cards from all kinds of businesses, including financial advisors and banks, and they've all been of the Best wishes/Season's greetings/Peace on Earth variety. They never mention prosperity.

So you're right, it's very Spockian and not a typical holiday theme.

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I'd still use "care" there, not "caring".

Then you are permanently disqualified from writing text for American greeting cards. So sorry to be the bearer of bad news.��

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You could wish someone a happy and prosperous New Year for me.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Then you are permanently disqualified from writing text for American greeting cards. So sorry to be the bearer of bad news.��

I'm heartbroken. Really. How on earth will I fund the lifestyle to which I plan to become accustomed in my dotage? :-(

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If it is that much of a sacrifice, could you not force yourself to use caring? :up:

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Emsr doesn't seem to care. She's given up on caring. :lol:

Status