Interested in Language
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Armenia
Hello, mates!

Please, paraphrase the underlined part. Here is the sentence: "It was a fantastic chateau, much dilapidated, and indeed scarcelytenantable through age and neglect."

I guess the author implies that hardly anyone lived in that old and abandoned building.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hello, [STRIKE]mates![/STRIKE]

Please, paraphrase the underlined part. Here is the sentence: "It was a fantastic chateau, much dilapidated, and indeed scarcely tenantable through age and neglect."

I guess the author implies that hardly anyone lived in that old and abandoned building.
I would go further and say that by "tenantable", the author was implying the building was not in a fit state to be rented out to tenants.

Mher

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Armenia
I would go further and say that by "tenantable", the author was implying the building was not in a fit state to be rented out to tenants.
"Fantastic" seems an odd word here. Is not it?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Fantastic" seems an odd word here. Is not it?
Its meaning has shifted since your text was written. Is it Poe? If so, it's from the early nineteenth century, nearly two hundred years ago. Fantastic used to mean "like a fantasy; wildly imaginative".

Write Is it not? If you've also been reading Jane Austen, whose characters often say Is not it?, note again that her works are a couple of centuries old. :)

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
scarcely tenantable through age and neglect = It could hardly be lived in because it was old and not cared for.

Mher

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Armenia
Status
Not open for further replies.