Smile Hello

Hello Teacher,

I've heard a lot of people saying. This is one of my favourite colours or one of my favourite dogs. Is that grammatically right? Cause the dictionary describes favourite as most liked or loved. So favourite is already a superlative term. In that case can is 'one of the fav' a right term? If not, then what is? Thanks :)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Wales
      • Current Location:
      • Rwanda

Re: Hello

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal_AJ View Post
    Hello Teacher,
    I've heard a lot of people saying. This is one of my favourite colours or one of my favourite dogs. Is that grammatically right? Cause the dictionary describes favourite as most liked or loved. So favourite is already a superlative term. In that case can is 'one of the fav' a right term? If not, then what is? Thanks :)
    It is perfectly reasonable to have more than one favourite, so the usage here is correct. I like a lot of red wines, but I do have my favourites/favourite ones.

Question Re: Hello

Based on the same reasoning, the term 'most favourite' should be right too. However, the dictionary describes favourite as 'most loved'. So 'most' in this case becomes redundant. Thanks