Interested in Language
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Armenia
Dear friends

Please, look at the passage below. It is by Poe.

"For a long time he would eat nothing but thistles; but of this idea we soon cured him by insisting upon his eating nothing else. Then he was perpetually kicking out his heels — so —so —"

Any ideas what the expression "kicking out his heels" could mean. Is it an idiomatic phrase or I should treat it directly?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's an idiom. I've never heard it, so I need to read more of the quote.

"Kicking UP his heels" means celebrating, having fun, romping around, dancing, partying. But that doesn't fit there.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It seems that "kicking out his heels" might be meant literally, but I can't be certain without additional context.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In British English, kicking your heels means that you are bored and restless when waiting for something.

Mher

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Armenia
Here is the larger picture, friends. Perhaps, this will disperse the ambiguity.

"And then," said a tall man, just opposite, "we had here, not long ago, a person who had taken it into his head
that he was a donkey — which, allegorically speaking, you will say, was quite true. He was a troublesome patient;
and we had much ado to keep him within bounds. For a long time he would eat nothing but thistles; but of this idea
we soon cured him by insisting upon his eating nothing else. Then he was perpetually kicking out his heels — so —
so —"
"Mr. De Kock! I will thank you to behave yourself!" here interrupted an old lady, who sat next to the speaker.
"Please keep your feet to yourself! You have spoiled my brocade! Is it necessary, pray, to illustrate a remark in so
practical a style? Our friend, here, can surely comprehend you without all this. Upon my word, you are nearly as
great a donkey as the poor unfortunate imagined himself. Your acting is very natural, as I live."

Status
Not open for further replies.