Interested in Language
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Armenia
Friends

Please, provide a synonym for the underlined part. See the passage below. It is Poe again.

There is no knowing what one eats, thought I to myself, at the tables of these people of the province. I will have
none of their rabbit au-chát — and, for the matter of that, none of their cat-au-rabbit either.

The dictionary says it means "as far as that is concerned." But I think it does not fit the context here. Maybe some other word could save the situation—even, at least etc.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
We'd say "for that matter" in current English. Yes, "as far as that's concerned" does fit. It's not a very meaningful phrase - more of an idiom. It can mean, "And while I'm talking about it, let me add ..." or "To be completely clear about the matter ..."

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The expression "for the matter of that" is old-fashioned English. Today we would say "for that matter."

We use "for that matter" to broaden what's already been said:

- I hate turnips. For that matter, I hate all vegetables.
- I didn't go to school yesterday. For that matter, I didn't do my chores at home, either.
- I've never been to North America. I haven't been to South America, either, for that matter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Milania

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
England
Friends

Please, provide a synonym for the underlined part. See the passage below. It is Poe again.

There is no knowing what one eats, thought I to myself, at the tables of these people of the province. I will have
none of their rabbit au-chát — and, for the matter of that, none of their cat-au-rabbit either.

The dictionary says it means "as far as that is concerned." But I think it does not fit the context here. Maybe some other word could save the situation—even, at least etc.

I would recommend that you read more on Semantics. It would help you understand the context of meaning when it comes to languages.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.