Unhappy What's The Different Betwwen "region And Distric"?

Do you think "region and district" have the same mean.If no Could you explain and when do i use 2 words,please
    I'm looking forward your reply
    Last edited by tuan_nghia; 10-Aug-2006 at 10:20.

Re: What's The Different Betwwen "region And Distric"?

Quote Originally Posted by tuan_nghia View Post
    Do you think "region and district" have the same mean.If no Could you explain and when do i use 2 words,please
    I'm looking forward your reply
    In practice, they are often used as synonyms. But there is a technical difference, which can be found by examining the roots of the words.

'region' is derived from the Latin verb 'regere' - 'to rule', and exists in many European languages ('region' in French, Spanish and German, 'regione' in Italian). So a 'region' was originally a territory or area subject to a common ruler.

'district' is derived from the Latin verb 'distringere' - 'to hinder or distrain'. This might sound strange, but it refers to a feudal lord's right to control his domain and its inhabitants. He would restrict their freedom of movement and economic rights by dividing up the area under his control into administrative 'districts'. In modern usage, it now means any division of an area into administrative units - for example, a 'postal district' or a 'tax district'.

The correct usage of these words, then, is that a 'region' is an area under autonomous government (within a country), and a 'district' is a division of a country or region for some administrative purpose.