Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think beverage is a reasonably common word in American English.

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
To sound more natural here, use... hot cereal.
I could never clearly understand the word "cereal". Is cereal different in any way from muesli? I always thought they are the same.

And is "hot cereal" an AmE synonym for porridge?

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I could never clearly understand the word "cereal". Is cereal different in any way from muesli? I always thought they are the same.

And is "hot cereal" an AmE synonym for porridge?
In American English, cereal (or its longer form, breakfast cereal) means "processed grain products, often consumed at breakfast". Cereal also means grain in general, but this is a largely technical usage that's not part of everyday English. Muesli is a kind of cereal. ("Processed" can range from lightly processed, as in steel-cut oats, to industrial concoctions bearing no resemblance to the grains they're made from.)

Hot cereal is a subset of breakfast cereals. It includes oatmeal, cream of wheat, and a number of other products.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is the word "cream" used in this brand name in this sense?
I don't think so. I always thought it was meant to refer to the creamy texture.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Breakfast cereal" in the UK covers a multitude of products, mostly eaten cold but, in the case of porridge, hot.

Here are just a few breakfast cereal products (some are brand names and some are generic names):

Bran flakes
All-Bran
Cornflakes
Muesli
Granola (muesli)
Puffed rice
Puffed wheat
Fibre flakes
Shredded Wheat
Weetabix
Coco Pops

newkeenlearner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Pashto, Pushto
Home Country
Afghanistan
Current Location
United States
In the UK, when people say "porridge", we generally mean the one made of oats (oatflakes, rolled oats, jumbo oatflakes, oatmeal). People who make their morning porridge from a different grain usually specify it. On cold winter mornings, I have quinoa porridge made with hemp milk and rice syrup. (It's delicious, vegan and healthy!)
Wow! You seemed to be a really good mother and wife as well as a great teacher. :up:

newkeenlearner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Pashto, Pushto
Home Country
Afghanistan
Current Location
United States
I thought she put time into making it herself. :roll:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Wow! You seemed to be a really good mother and wife as well as a great teacher. :up:

Wow! is the right word. I can assure you that I am neither a mother nor a wife. I don't want to sound like a uber-politically-correct pain in the a*se, but suggesting that a woman is either of those things based on her knowledge of and ability to make breakfast products is spectacularly sexist.

I totally understand that you probably thought that you were being complimentary but I promise you that, in the 21st century, you failed. I am an independent, self-sufficient, childless adult woman.

Sorry if this sounds like a rant (I suppose it is, to a certain extent) but I really couldn't let your post go without comment.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You, apparently, are happy enough with that word. A number of people I know who have chosen not to litter the world with offspring prefer 'child-free'.

I was happy enough with the term, but I do like your alternative. :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.