Question When Iím 64.

Hello, dear teachers and regulars,
    Sir Paul has turned 64 this year, hasnít he? If so, there must have been a lot of witty comments in the British media.
    I like the song very much but there is something I donít understand. I highlighted that.
    1. If Iíd been out till quarter to three
    would you lock the door?

An interesting conditional Ėhad been in an imaginary situation. Iíve never seen it elsewhere. Iím trying to think of similar sentences.
    If your fiancee had dumped you on the eve of your wedding what would you do? ĖIs this correct?
    2. Indicate precisely what you mean to say
    Yours sincerely wasting away
    . Ė Canít understand it at all.
    3. Give me your answer, fill in a form Ė What kind of form? A telegram??
    Mine for evermore - ????
    I will appreciate your help.
    Tnx.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

Re: When Iím 64.

Quote Originally Posted by Humble View Post
    Hello, dear teachers and regulars,
    Sir Paul has turned 64 this year, hasn’t he? If so, there must have been a lot of witty comments in the British media.
    I like the song very much but there is something I don’t understand. I highlighted that.
    1. If I’d been out till quarter to three
    would you lock the door?

An interesting conditional –had been in an imaginary situation. I’ve never seen it elsewhere. I’m trying to think of similar sentences.
    If your fiancee had dumped you on the eve of your wedding what would you do? –Is this correct?
    2. Indicate precisely what you mean to say
    Yours sincerely wasting away
    . – Can’t understand it at all.
    3. Give me your answer, fill in a form – What kind of form? A telegram??
    Mine for evermore - ????
    I will appreciate your help.
    Tnx.
    Hi Humble

1. a] If I were out till...would you lock the door? -second conditional
    b] I I had been out till....would you have locked ..? -third conditional
    a]If your fiancee dumped you..what would you do? -second conditional
    b] If your fiancee had dumped you...what would you have done?- third conditional
    Your sentences seem to follow the rule of mixed conditionals [III +II] but here, in this context, mixed conditional is not possible because the sentences do not make sense.
    A mixed type conditional should sound like :
    e.g. type II+ III : If she knew the truth ,she would have helped you.
    type III + II : If I hadn`t been so late I could be talking to you now.

I`d like to ask you smth: Have you seen the lines of the song or have you heard them[?] , because if you`ve heard them then the sentence might sound like this: If I`d been out... would you`ve locked the door?, [or would`ve locked the door ?] -3rd conditional

2. Yours sincerely, wasting away ......: Yours sincerely, I am the one who is wasting [himself]away[who grows old and feels that the end gets near too quickly,the poet feels he loses his self -his ego- , his way of being and living, etc.]
    3. fill in a form - a Valentine form [ postcard] ; it might be a telegram[ here]

I hope it helps.

Regards,
    Last edited by Teia; 10-Aug-2006 at 20:53.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Indicate precisely what you mean to say,
    "Yours sincerely, Wasting Away"

He's hoping that when you send him the requested postcard, you'll sign it "Yours sincerely, Wasting Away" (Wasting Away instead of your name...because you are so upset at being apart from him, you're no longer existing - you're slowly wasting away).

Give me your answer, fill in a form
    Mine forever more

Refers to the previous verse, where he asked you to send him a postcard or drop him a "line" (a letter or a note)...He wants you to express your feelings (that you're his forever) in writing.

Tnx vy much, Teia and Ouish.
    Yes, lyrics are often difficult to analize.
    Um...it's getting better, but
    1. So does he suggest she should write "Yours sincerely, wasting away"?? Or it's his own final line?
    2. Teia, it's taken from a book. No, it's certainly not a mixed conditional. I think had been out conveys the idea of her impatient waiting till(that's the key word) quarter to three.
    Regards

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

1. So does he suggest she should write "Yours sincerely, wasting away"?? Or it's his own final line?
    2. Teia, it's taken from a book. No, it's certainly not a mixed conditional. I think had been out conveys the idea of her impatient waiting till(that's the key word) quarter to three.
    Regards

Hi, Humble

It seems that I am not so good at analyzing literary texts of this kind.Ouisch has a better understanding of this poem.
    As for the part with "conditionals" I`ll think it over because I am not sure about the message conveyed by your sentences. You might be right ,so I have to reconsider this

Anyway, keep in touch

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

He's suggesting that she should write that. The basic overall message of the song is a man singing about turning 64 years old (which, at one time, made him an "old man") and he's hoping that the woman he's singing to will still love him (and miss him and be unable to live without him) just as much when he's old as she does when he's young.

Smile Re: When Iím 64.

Thank you.
    I've always thought that pop music is extremely helpful in teaching and learning a language: you can analyze grammar and vocabulary; all the words and grammar patterns stick to your mind (not sure it's good English) in no time. The Beatles with their wonderful tunes and very clear pronunciation are especially good for this purpose.
    I think this song is in fact a marriage proposal. Teia, you haven't heard the song?
    When I get older, losing my hair
    Many years from now
    Will you still be sending me a Valentine
    Birthday greeting, bottle of wine
    Now, conditionals.
    Letís take conditional I.
    If I have been out till three will you lock the door?
    Itís not too common to have the PrPerfect in an if-clause but I think itís possible.
    Next step: change it into conditional II.
    If I had been out till three would you lock the door?
    Have a nice weekend.