querry

Hi Teachers

One small querry.

Can we also say: "I was sat on a chair" or "I was sitting on a chair" is the only correct statement.

Waiting for a reply.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

Re: querry

Quote Originally Posted by drrohitbaslas View Post
    Hi Teachers
    One small querry.
    Can we also say: "I was sat on a chair" or "I was sitting on a chair" is the only correct statement.
    Waiting for a reply.

Hi

The correct sentence is [ I added some sense to it]: I was sitting on a chair and watching TV while he was making a coffee.

"sat " is the form for past tense and participle of the verb "sit". You can say:

I sat on a chair [past tense]

I`ve sat [past participle] on that chair but it`s not comfortable at all ; that`s why I prefer standing .

Regards,

"I was sitting" is an example of the past progressive (or past continuous, if you prefer). The past continuous is formed by using the past tense of "be" and the present participle (the "ing"-form) of the main verb.

Strictly speaking, if you say "I was sat in a chair", that's the passive voice of the simple past. This is formed by taking the past tense of "be" and the past participle. This would mean that someone took hold of me and placed me on a chair in a sitting position -- not something that would normally happen to you. It can also mean that a specific seat was allocated to you, as in, for example, a restaurant, where a member of staff shows you to a table. However, in that case, the more formally correct version is to say "I was seated..." (you sometimes see signs near the entrance of some establishments saying, "Please wait here to be seated".

You may also sometimes here people saying "I was sat" when they mean "I was sitting". This is informal, non-standard colloquial English. It's very common, but you should never write it this way in, for example, an exam.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

Quote Originally Posted by rewboss View Post
    "I was sitting" is an example of the past progressive (or past continuous, if you prefer). The past continuous is formed by using the past tense of "be" and the present participle (the "ing"-form) of the main verb.

Strictly speaking, if you say "I was sat in a chair", that's the passive voice of the simple past. This is formed by taking the past tense of "be" and the past participle. This would mean that someone took hold of me and placed me on a chair in a sitting position -- not something that would normally happen to you. It can also mean that a specific seat was allocated to you, as in, for example, a restaurant, where a member of staff shows you to a table. However, in that case, the more formally correct version is to say "I was seated..." (you sometimes see signs near the entrance of some establishments saying, "Please wait here to be seated".

You may also sometimes here people saying "I was sat" when they mean "I was sitting". This is informal, non-standard colloquial English. It's very common, but you should never write it this way in, for example, an exam.

Hi, Rewboss

It`s interesting to know that "I was sat" is informal, colloquial and at the same time very common in English.
    Thank you for clarifying that.

All the best

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Libya
      • Current Location:
      • Libya

Quote Originally Posted by rewboss View Post
    This would mean that someone took hold of me and placed me on a chair in a sitting position.
    This kind of deep comprehension and the ability to explaining is what i (and every student) need from a teacher...

i couldn't pass without saying this...

rewboss...

you're the one!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by teia_petrescu View Post
    Hi, Rewboss

It`s interesting to know that "I was sat" is informal, colloquial and at the same time very common in English.
    Um, you must have missed something. It's not common at all. I have probably never heard "I was sat" said by anybody.