Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Israel
Hello there!
I'm a postgraduate student conducting a research on verbs of spatial semantics.
Formally speaking I should deal with verbs of juxtaposition in space. Firstly, I need to figure out what verbs I should be focused on. Could you kindly help me?What are those verbs of juxtaposition (objects|events) in space that come to your mind right away? Post several examples, please.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The one that comes immediately is juxtapose.

What are you going to do with these verbs?

Hawk1911

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Israel
Hello jutfrank!
My scientific advisor suggested verbs like "stretch","extend","spread". My first task is to identify verbs of juxtaposition in space and then perform a semantic analysis. Also, a cognitive analysis will be performed shortly. Currently, I'm reading a lot about these topics but its really hard to go alone.
My basic tasks are:
1) Identify core characteristics of these verbs in the framework of semantic types according to their semantic roles.
2) Perform a research of these verbs in relation to the time axis.
3) Identify basic cognitive mechanisms affecting a change in the meaning of these verbs.
I want to stay in contact with native speakers in order to perform these tasks. Not so much essential information I can find on my research.
So now I need to find these verbs and it is important to identify them analyzing answers from native speakers.

Hawk1911

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Israel
Hello Piscean. Well, I was talking about verbs which describe objects or events coexist with each other, placed closely in space (mental or physical). The term “juxtapose” includes the word parts “juxta” (next to) and “pos” (put or place). The term literally means “to put next to.” Although there is the semantics of comparison, I consider mechanisms of meaning creation when it comes to describing the actual position of one object near the other in space. That's is why I asked to provide any other synonyms/verbs of your own.

Hawk1911

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Israel
Hello Tdol. Thank you. Any information, websites, forums will be much appreciated.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
My scientific advisor suggested verbs like "stretch","extend","spread".

What do you mean by "scientific advisor"? Your course tutor?

I think the term 'juxtaposition' would lead many of us here to think of a relation between two objects. The verbs you mention generally describe one object. Are you sure you're on the right track?

Hawk1911

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Israel
Holy moly :-| I thought it was a linguistic section. Didn't get anything useful here.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Status
Not open for further replies.