Interested in Language
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Armenia
Friends,

I can't quite figure out what meaning the phrase "any one of sense" has in the given context. Please, present your authoritative opinions. As always, this is Poe. I am citing a whole paragraph from https://poestories.com/read/systemoftarr.

"Here? — in my own experience? — why, I may say, yes. For example: — no very long while ago, a singular
circumstance occurred in this very house. The'soothing system,' you know, was then in operation, and the patients
were at large. They behaved remarkably well — especially so — any one of sense might have known that some
devilish scheme was brewing from that particular fact, that the fellows behaved so remarkably well. And, sure
enough, one fine morning the keepers found themselves pinioned hand and foot, and thrown into the cells, where
they were attended, as if they were the lunatics, by the lunatics themselves, who had usurped the offices of the
keepers."

I dare to think that it could mean "any person having a good sense/experience might have anticipated..." Am I right?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Note that the usage of dashes in the story is not typical of correct punctuation today.

Mher

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Armenia
Note that the usage of dashes in the story is not typical of correct punctuation today.
Interesting observation, Raymott, because I actually had difficulty translating it. The equivalent sentence does not look nice in Armenian. How would you punctuate it today? Which word or phrase could replace "especially so?"

P.S.: Sorry for shifting the topic.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"They behaved remarkably well — especially so. Any one of sense might have known that some devilish scheme was brewing from that particular fact, that the fellows behaved so remarkably well."
That's one way, but I wouldn't express myself like Poe does in any case.

The problem was that " - especially so -" is an interpolation. If it is left out, the sentence should still make sense. But "They behaved remarkably well any one of sense ..." doesn't make sense.

Mher

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Armenia
"They behaved remarkably well — especially so. Any one of sense might have known that some devilish scheme was brewing from that particular fact, that the fellows behaved so remarkably well."
That's one way, but I wouldn't express myself like Poe does in any case.

The problem was that " - especially so -" is an interpolation. If it is left out, the sentence should still make sense. But "They behaved remarkably well any one of sense ..." doesn't make sense.

Yes, I have noticed the same incompatibility between the two parts. Can I replace "especially so" with "to the degree that?" I read it that way.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Yes, you could have used that phrase if you were Poe.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
BTW, I would use anyone or any person rather than any one.

Status
Not open for further replies.