• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Uzbek
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Question How to monitor a teacher's lesson?

Hello dear forum members,

I would like you to shed light basically on the issue of routinely monitoring teacher perfomance. I am in charge of superivsing and evaluating the teacher-student performance throughout the lesson. However, the problem is that whenever an 'outsider' is seen in the classroom things get comlicated and are not as they should be.
    I would be much grateful if you could share your experience as a teacher or a supervisor.
    Questions for teachers:
    1. Is it normal for you to see someone in your classroom watching it throughout the lesson (just for evaluation reasons?
    2. Do feel comfortable if supervisors attend your lesson continuously?

Questions for supervisors:
    1. Do you think it is important to stay from the very beginning of the lesson till the end if you wish to get the general picture and be able to make your critical and objective evaluation?
    2. What would you suggest to improve the quality of teacher performance?

I am looking forward to your soonest replies.
    Thank you so much.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: How to monitor a teacher's lesson?

Although I don't teach in a classroom setting any more, when I did, I wouldn't have liked having someone observe me in a lesson but I would have understood why it was necessary and I would have put up with it. I would expect the observer to sit in on the lesson from beginning to end to see how the teacher deals with the students from the moment they walk through the door until the moment they leave.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Uzbek
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Dear teachers and friends, I would appreciate it very much if you could share your experience so that we could arrive at a sound conclusion regarding the issue of teacher evaluation. Your helpful pieces of advice or stories you post in this forum would also contribute to further research work in this area.
    Please, accept my humble gratitude for your support.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by azkado View Post
    so that we could arrive at a sound conclusion regarding the issue of teacher evaluation.
    I think you are being over-ambitious if you are looking for a single conclusion.

Your original question was about monitoring and evaluating teacher performance. What are you looking at/for? Here are some things you may be looking out for:

Teacher
    Clarity of aims and objectives
    Success in achieving those aims
    Knowledge of the subject
    Clarity of delivery.
    Enthusiasm and ability to spark interest
    Involvement of all learners
    Monitoring of learners
    Checking understanding
    Range of techniques used
    Use of aids
    Flexibility
    Error detection and correction
    Rapport with learners.
    Ability to deal with the unexpected.
    Timing.
    Change of pace.

(After the lesson): Ability to self-evaluate - recognise own strengths and weaknesses and to suggest improvements

Learners

Interest
    Involvement
    Understanding
    Willingness to participate

When I used to observe lessons, important questions I would ask myself and the person observed included:

Was the teacher more concerned with the teacher teaching or the learners learning?
    Did learning take place?
    How do you know that learning did (or did not) take place?
    If learning took place, was it because of or despite the teacher?
    What techniques/approaches appeared particularly successful? Why ?
    What techniques appeared less successful? Why?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

As an experienced teacher and teacher trainer, I feel I can answer your questions quite reliably.

Questions for teachers:
    1. Is it normal for you to see someone in your classroom watching it throughout the lesson (just for evaluation reasons?
    2. Do feel comfortable if supervisors attend your lesson continuously?
    1. Yes, it's a routine and necessary part of the job.
    2. Largely, no. Very few teachers feel completely comfortable with this. Even very experienced ones.

Questions for supervisors:
    1. Do you think it is important to stay from the very beginning of the lesson till the end if you wish to get the general picture and be able to make your critical and objective evaluation?
    2. What would you suggest to improve the quality of teacher performance?
    1. It really depends on why exactly you are observing. It's okay to pop into a class for just ten minutes if you only want to get an idea of how things are going, but of course, if you want the whole picture, you need to see the whole lesson. (A way around this is to ask teachers to submit their lesson plans.) It's less disruptive for the class, too, when you don't have to walk into the room while the lesson is in progress.

2. At my school we have a programme of teacher development sessions. This involves talks on improving teaching skills, using different methodologies, swapping ideas for activities, comparing and sharing experiences, etc. I think it's also very important for teachers to take the opportunity to reflect on their own performances. This can be done in several ways. In the past, I have filmed myself teaching lessons. Although this is often quite uncomfortable to watch back, it can be a really valuable and interesting way to self-evaluate, without the need for an 'intrusive' supervisor sitting in the room.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I would appreciate it very much if you could share your experience so that we could arrive at a sound conclusion regarding the issue of teacher evaluation.
    I don't know what kind of conclusion you want to draw. Read Piscean's post #4 very carefully.

If I was to reiterate one thing mentioned in that post, it would be the importance of learning outcomes: A good lesson is much more about the learning that takes place than about the teacher's performance.

As an observer, ask yourself at the end of the lesson: What did the students learn from the lesson? How do you know that they did?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by jutfrank View Post
    the importance of learning outcomes:
    That cannot be over-stressed.

The success of any course, or any part thereof (e.g. lesson) can be assessed mainly (only?) by what the learners have been enabled to do at the end that they could not do at the beginning. .

One of the weaknesses I noticed in DELTA and Trinity Dip observations when I was involved some ten years ago (it may have changed now) was that trainee teachers could obtain a good mark for an observed lesson only if they used (among other things) a prescribed range of techniques. Thus, no matter how successful the lesson was from the learner-outcome result, trainee teachers would be penalised if they did not use, for example. pair work (however briefly) at some stage of the lesson. The achievement of the purpose of the lesson seemed to be considered less important than the process.

Ideally, observed lessons should be seen as a way of helping teachers become even better as enablers of leaning, not as tests of an ability to produce a perfect lesson on the odd occasion of being observed. This is why, in my opinion, teachers should be able to request observation, by peers and superiors, so that supportive discussion is possible; observation should not be seen merely as judgement by superiors.