is this a good introduction to an essay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

niaaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This is an argumentative essay introduction about john brown, and I'm not really good at essays so i need some advice on this introduction and whether or not it has a clear thesis or not. here is it:

[FONT=&quot]Americans tend to have different opinions on whether a person is a good martyr or a bad martyr. John Brown has his fans and his haters. Brown was something you did not see much of in the eighteenth century; he was a strong slavery abolitionist. He went on a mission to free slaves, but the mission ended with people dead. Despite this negative element, John Brown should be recognized as an American hero and a martyr, who was trying to give freedom to people who deserved it.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The last sentence is drawing conclusions before you have been through the positive and negative sides.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I understand your thesis is: John Brown should be recognized as an American hero and a martyr.

That seems clear enough to me.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In that case, it might be better to move that to the start with something like even though after it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This is an argumentative essay introduction about John Brown, and I'm not really good at essays so I need some advice on this introduction and whether or not it has a clear thesis or not. Here [STRIKE]is it[/STRIKE] it is:

See above. Remember to use correct capitalisation in all your writing, not just in your essays.

Status
Not open for further replies.