• Post Thanks / Like

2 Questions

Here are the sentences:
    1. "It was an old solid body van, a Chevy, the kind I had driven for Frankie Pike and the Lobster Pound in Lynn delivering lobsters throughout the Merrimack Valley."
    Is 'Frankie Pike' and 'the Lobster Pound ' here someone's name and some restaurant's name?

2. (link to the above)It had pre-WW II high fenders, a faded black paint on a body you'd swear had been hammered out of corrugated steel, and an engine that made sounds too angry and too early for the start of day.
    what does' It had pre-WW II high fenders' mean?

Is my questions too stupid? aha, I am a freshman of English major,so my English is poor. Hope you won't mind.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2 Questions

Iīd say they are names alright and pre-W II fenders mean they are fenders ( part of the car ) from before world war II...

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chen View Post
    Here are the sentences:
    1. "It was an old solid body van, a Chevy, the kind I had driven for Frankie Pike and the Lobster Pound in Lynn delivering lobsters throughout the Merrimack Valley."
    Is 'Frankie Pike' and 'the Lobster Pound ' here someone's name and some restaurant's name?
    2. (link to the above)It had pre-WW II high fenders, a faded black paint on a body you'd swear had been hammered out of corrugated steel, and an engine that made sounds too angry and too early for the start of day.
    what does' It had pre-WW II high fenders' mean?
    Is my questions too stupid? aha, I am a freshman of English major,so my English is poor. Hope you won't mind.
    I think you should say that these are quotations from "The Three Fisherman" by Tom Sheehan, by the way.

1. Yes. "The Lobster Pound" is a restaurant specializing in lobsters, and Frankie Pike is the owner.

2. 'Fenders' is an American English term meaning the protective steel bars around the front and back of a car or truck that 'fend off' other vehicles or objects if you collide with them. The equivalent British English term is 'bumpers', because they protect you if you 'bump into' something. The author is saying that the Chevy van has high 'fenders' like vans made before ('pre') World War 2. It does not necessarily imply that the van itself was made before World War 2 (although it could mean that) - just that it has high fenders in the style of vehicles made before World War 2.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • (Afan) Oromo
      • Home Country:
      • Aaland
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coffa View Post
    The equivalent British English term is 'bumpers',
    Isn't 'bumpers' also used in American English?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

In AE, bumpers are the long chrome pieces that run horizontally across the lower front and rear of the vehicle. These are what protects the car in minor collisions, or if you don't stop soon enough when pulling into a parking spot.

Fenders are the quarter panels that are painted the same color of the vehicle and are located in the front on the right and left sides, forward of the wheels, and likewise in the rear, only in back of the tires.

Prior to World War II, most American cars were steel behemoths, often weighing three tons. During the war, however, steel was in short supply (it was being used for the military), so cars got smaller, and were covered with less extraneous or unnecessary metal.

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
    In AE, bumpers are the long chrome pieces that run horizontally across the lower front and rear of the vehicle. These are what protects the car in minor collisions, or if you don't stop soon enough when pulling into a parking spot.
    Fenders are the quarter panels that are painted the same color of the vehicle and are located in the front on the right and left sides, forward of the wheels, and likewise in the rear, only in back of the tires.
    Prior to World War II, most American cars were steel behemoths, often weighing three tons. During the war, however, steel was in short supply (it was being used for the military), so cars got smaller, and were covered with less extraneous or unnecessary metal.
    My thanks for the correction

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coffa View Post
    I think you should say that these are quotations from "The Three Fisherman" by Tom Sheehan, by the way.
    1. Yes. "The Lobster Pound" is a restaurant specializing in lobsters, and Frankie Pike is the owner.
    2. 'Fenders' is an American English term meaning the protective steel bars around the front and back of a car or truck that 'fend off' other vehicles or objects if you collide with them. The equivalent British English term is 'bumpers', because they protect you if you 'bump into' something. The author is saying that the Chevy van has high 'fenders' like vans made before ('pre') World War 2. It does not necessarily imply that the van itself was made before World War 2 (although it could mean that) - just that it has high fenders in the style of vehicles made before World War 2.
    Yes! thank you for reminding me.