• Post Thanks / Like

With or without a comma ?

It includes the standards, conventions, and rules accountants follow in recording ,summarizing transactions, and in the preparation of financial statements.

Is it wrong or correct to put a comma before the word "and" in that
    paragraph ??

Regards,
    Rose

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: With or without a comma ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bahrain rose View Post
    It includes the standards, conventions, and rules accountants follow in recording ,summarizing transactions, and in the preparation of financial statements.
    Is it wrong or correct to put a comma before the word "and" in that
    paragraph ??

Regards,
    Rose
    In the case of the first comma, it's debatable, and I wouldn't worry too much about it. I had the same question when I was studying English Language at school, and I was taught that in a list you omit the comma before the final 'and'. The test should be whether you naturally pause at that point in the sentence. I suggest you do pause there, so the comma is correct, but I wouldn't argue the point.

However, the latter part of the sentence is incorrect. It should be: "...and rules accountants follow in recording <B>and </B> summarizing transactions, and in the preparation of financial statements."

The comma is obligatory here, because there is definitely a pause after transactions.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: With or without a comma ?

Quote Originally Posted by Coffa View Post
    In the case of the first comma, it's debatable, and I wouldn't worry too much about it. I had the same question when I was studying English Language at school, and I was taught that in a list you omit the comma before the final 'and'. The test should be whether you naturally pause at that point in the sentence. I suggest you do pause there, so the comma is correct, but I wouldn't argue the point.
    However, the latter part of the sentence is incorrect. It should be: "...and rules accountants follow in recording <B>and </B> summarizing transactions, and in the preparation of financial statements."
    The comma is obligatory here, because there is definitely a pause after transactions.
    Thanks alot Coffa for replying !