Croatian
Home Country
Croatia
Current Location
Croatia
Hey, guys!
I've just made some game about linguistics in JavaScript. You can see it here:
http://flatassembler.000webhostapp.com/etymologist.html
Do you have some ideas on how to improve it that are easy to program?
I don't think I'd be able to add anything complicated to it. I am not a programmer and I can barely manage the 2000 lines of code it has now.

FlatAssembler

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Croatian
Home Country
Croatia
Current Location
Croatia
Why? Many people who are new to linguistics have trouble understanding the concept of regular sound correspondences between related languages. It's good to have an educational web-game explaining it.

nadiaali

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
mmm i kinda like it! id add blurbs about what they mean, or phonological implications

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Mmm, I [STRIKE]kinda[/STRIKE] kind of like it! [STRIKE]id[/STRIKE] I'd add blurbs about what they mean, or phonological implications.

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

I note from your member profile that you are an English teacher. For the benefit of all the learners on the forum, please make sure you use correct written English at all times. We try to ensure that everything written by native speakers, and particularly by teachers, uses correct capitalisation and punctuation. We also discourage learners from using non-standard constructions such as "kinda", "wanna" etc.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
The beginning of Part 2 says “We hope you got familiar with the grammar of the two languages.” What grammar? They were isolated words.
Is there a reason you chose a mid-grey text on a slightly lighter mid-grey background for your corrections? And the lettering in Part 2 so small and thin? I gave up because I couldn't read it.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Do you have some ideas on how to improve it that are easy to program?

Languages are not easy to program. Looking for something that requires a few lines of code will rarely produce anything that is useful for learners. Your concept is based around some similarities of European languages- how would this help Asian learners, for instance?

And does the English t- always correspond to a German z-? Half our vocabulary comes from non-Germanic sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.