• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

Arrow help!

I read this sentence from a business English book...it says " I should have finished my work by Friday" , which confuse me because the first time I read it, it gave me an idea that the action will take place in the future...but i know that "should have + PP" is used in the past, but I usually use "by Friday" for future events. Could you explain this to me.

Thanks a lot!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Wales
      • Current Location:
      • Rwanda

Re: help!

Quote Originally Posted by chum View Post
    I read this sentence from a business English book...it says " I should have finished my work by Friday" , which confuse me because the first time I read it, it gave me an idea that the action will take place in the future...but i know that "should have + PP" is used in the past, but I usually use "by Friday" for future events. Could you explain this to me.
    Thanks a lot!
    The future perfect tense is used to look forward to a point in time and say/predict what actions will have finished by that future time, using the structure will + have + past participle.

You can, however, replace will with some other modal verbs to indicate your view of how likely your prediction is - I should/may/ought to to have finished my work by Friday.

Talking Re: help!

Hello, Chum,
    I think the sentence is ambiguous without additional context: it may refer either to the past or to the future.
    a)I should have read the book by (last) Friday - the person who gave me the book, asked me to return it by Friday, but I didn't.
    b) I should do it within the time that ends on Friday -in the future, and by requires the Perfect.
    By can be used in the past:
    We had learned 50 phrasal verbs by the end of school term.
    Regards