• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

Explanation

Please explain the given text,giving special attention to the words in quotation marks.

Indeed, in many villages, at least half of the houses were mere shells, many "with washing hanging across unglazed windows." The impression was often of a vast low-density building site. The oddest thing about this was that the houses were not modest rural dwellings; "they were pleasure palaces in conception," .

Sokobanja itself, for example, while blessed with "medicinal waters" and a restored Turkish hammam, had made few concessions to holidaymakers seeking relaxation. It appeared to be more "geared towards the genuinely ill."

To harp on about such shortcomings, however, is, as well as to display an insensitivity to the struggles of ordinary Serbians in recent times, "to show a tin ear to the country's melancholy charm."

Manasija became a sanctuary for artists and intellectuals fleeing the Turks and many regard it as the final flourish of a Serbian golden age. Some historians believe that the monastery could have become the focus for a cultural blossoming similar to "the Italian Renaissance," but these prospects perished in the face of the Turkish advance, just as much of the church's artwork has been eroded by subsequent years of neglect.

please give your opinion on the given sentences,thereby,making it clear as which one is correct.
    i)We have mutually handed over/taken over the affair of the institution on 7th/08/20006.
    ii)We mutually handed over/took over the affair of the institution on 7th/08/20006.

Thanks.
    Last edited by shaukat mahmood; 16-Aug-2006 at 17:59. Reason: because i did not receive a reply,i thought i should cut short my problem.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: Explanation

When you say 'explain the text', what are you looking for?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

Explanation

I am looking for the explanation of some difficult expressions in simple English.
    Please explain these in simple English.
    "unglazed windows"

"the houses were not modest rural dwellings; they were pleasure palaces in conception"
    "to show a tin ear to the country's melancholy charm."

"Italian Renaissance"

please give your opinion on the given sentences,thereby,making it clear as which one is correct.
    i)We have mutually handed over/taken over the affair of the institution on 7th/08/20006.
    ii)We mutually handed over/took over the affair of the institution on 7th/08/20006.
    Regards.