Which One?

Please advise me which one of the following two is correct. Thank you.

1) Mr. Lee is quite interested in and eager to establishing a long-term working relationship with us.

2) Mr. Lee is quite interested in and eager to establish a long-term working relationship with us.

Re: Which One?

Quote Originally Posted by cleung View Post
    Please advise me which one of the following two is correct. Thank you.
    1) Mr. Lee is quite interested in and eager to establishing a long-term working relationship with us.
    2) Mr. Lee is quite interested in and eager to establish a long-term working relationship with us.
    No. 2 is correct.

The infinitive forms are 'to establish' (present simple) and 'to be establishing' (present continuous), so only 2) is grammatical.

"Mr. Lee is quite interested in and eager to be establishing a long-term working relationship with us." is grammatical, but would (almost) never be preferred over 2) by native speakers. A guide for EFL speakers is to prefer the present simple over the present continuous unless there is a compelling reason to do otherwise. My present continuous sentence above would be universally understood, but instantly sounds very foreign.

I should correct myself.

2) is not grammatical because 'interested in' requires the present continuous tense

This makes the sentence somewhat of a minefield because the conjoined verbs have different tense requirements... I would rewrite it:

"Mr. Lee is quite interested in establishing a long-term relationship with us; indeed, he is eager to do so."

Dear Coffa,

Thanks very much for taking the time to help me. I really appreciate it, and particularly, I like your rewriting the sentence for me.

Quote Originally Posted by cleung View Post
    Dear Coffa,
    Thanks very much for taking the time to help me. I really appreciate it, and particularly, I like your rewriting the sentence for me.
    You're very welcome. By the way, it is also possible to write the sentence as:

"Mr. Lee is quite interested in, and eager to establish, a long-term working relationship with us."