Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
I started listening to this podcast called "Stuff You Should Know" in order to practice my English listening skills. Although I can get the general idea, there are some words that I can't understand very well. I would like to know if someone could help me, please.

Here is the link to the episode I was listening to:
https://www.stuffyoushouldknow.com/podcasts/how-pompeii-worked.htm

I will transcript the sentences the better I can and indicate the words that I cannot undestand very clearly.

From 4:57 to 5:05:
"Yeah, and also we need to fuel our way back with olive oil (missing connecting word?) on this trip. We need to (missing word) it, because we would be in big trouble if we don't."

At 5:16
"Oh, you don't like really good (i guess it is olive oil, but pronouciantion sounds very strange to me, and very different from when the same person said these same words in the last sentence)".

I thank you in advance for your time and help!

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I started listening to this podcast called "Stuff You Should Know" in order to practice my ​English listening skills. Although I can get the general idea, there are some words that I can't understand very well. I would like to know if someone could help me, please.

Here is the link to the episode I was listening to:
https://www.stuffyoushouldknow.com/podcasts/how-pompeii-worked.htm

I [STRIKE]will transcript[/STRIKE] have transcribed the sentences [STRIKE]the better[/STRIKE] as well as I can and have indicated the words that I cannot understand very clearly.

From 4:57 to 5:05:
"Yeah, and also we need to fuel [STRIKE]our[/STRIKE] the, er, way back with olive oil (he starts to say "the" but stops before the end of the word because he realises it's not right) on this trip. We need to retro-fit it, because we would be in big trouble if we don't."

At 5:16
"Oh, you don't like really good olive oil?"
(I guess it is olive oil, but the pronunciation sounds very strange to me, and very different from when the same person said these same words in the last sentence).

[STRIKE]I thank you in advance for your time and help![/STRIKE] Unnecessary. Thank us after we help you.

See above. I think the reason you thought "olive oil" sounded different the second time was because the speaker used the questioning intonation at the end, in order to turn a statement into a question.

vmapelli

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Thank you, emsr2d2!

I am sorry if any of my mistakes sounded rude. It was never my intention.

Status
Not open for further replies.