Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
Netherlands
Hi All,

I am applying to a few universities for Msc. in Finance. I have prepared a motivation letter if you can review and let me know your suggestions about using English or any changes or suggestions. Additionally the requirement of the universities its simple nothing in specific just that they want to see how motivated I am to join the program.

I wish to apply for the Masters in Banking and Finance. I am thankful in advance to the admission officer to give me this opportunity to apply for this course and consider my application. I grew up in a society where women are supposed to be subservient but I was blessed with ardent mother and unassailable elder brother. From whom I learned that progress is inevitable by the sheer power of will and self-belief. My brother is my supporting pillar and the driving force. He is a banker with 13 years of work experience and based in the UK now.
The road to my education was always challenging due to lack of finance but my unrelenting will and positive outlook helped me attain my Bachelors in Commerce from Delhi University combined with many part-time jobs as it was a distance learning program. After my first degree, I got an opportunity to work with NIIT where I started as a trainee analyst and my first client was Wells Fargo bank. I was tasked to look after all the learning material needed for bank’s employees. I was recognized and awarded for my work wherein I was motivated to do more. When I decided to do my MBA, there were further challenges as a regular MBA was expensive for me and I had the responsibility of my mother. Where people around me looked at this situation as set back, I looked at it as a learning objective. I looked around and found the best outcome to pursue a part-time MBA while continuing my job. When I look back at those circumstances I see the betterment it brought me. I learned patience, multitasking and cultivated my time management skills. This also helped me progress in my career.
Soon enough I had moved to a more challenging role in a new company RAH Infotech. Now my client was HSBC, Morgan Stanley and UBS. I had the opportunity to work with management like directors and senior vice presidents. This experience has taught me how knowledge and hard work are a perfect combination to achieve higher goals in life. My hard work had paid off when I was given the opportunity to work for a short period in HSBC’s office in London. I jumped on the opportunity, as I knew it would involve great learning and also spending time with my brother. My recent visit to London and working under the same roof with the senior management gave me acquaintances to concepts of process improvements, automation and how important and difficult decision-making is at the same time. I also had the pleasure of meeting some of Global Heads in various banks. In those various discussions, one of the topics was European education versus Indian education. At that moment I connected to my original wish to having a European education. By nature, I am a proactive person and started researching potential next steps. I came across Maastricht School of Management.
This was a great opportunity for me since in my country where women are not given such opportunities and equal education. I have been in the Netherlands for more than a year graduating from Maastricht School of Management. I had come across many challenges and opportunities during the program as there is a very big difference in the European education system in comparison to Indian education system. I was able to convert all the challenges into opportunities with the support of the professors, friends and family. While in the university I had come across friends who were ACCA certified or preparing for CFA certification considering their interest in finance and the challenging job market in the Netherlands and the courses I took in Maastricht with practical implementation of the knowledge like reading a company’s annual report along with the financial analysis in my final thesis made me realize my interest in Finance and I started finding more about opportunities in the field of finance. I soon discovered the combination of strong financial knowledge and management skills can lead to extraordinary results. I have registered and pursuing a financial certification called Professional Risk Management (PRM Exam) as a first step to gain financial knowledge. Additionally, masters in Banking and finance have subjects which would be helpful in clearing the exams for PRM as preparing for a PRM exam involves reading through various books and other online sources only.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I assume you have read a few of the motivation letters that were previously posted here. I assume you have also taken note of the corrections/suggestions.

deeksha007

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
Netherlands
I assume you have read a few of the motivation letters that were previously posted here. I assume you have also taken note of the corrections/suggestions.
Hi Tarheel,

Yes, I have read some previous letters from which I took a few suggestions. I am not sure why are you commenting the question? Do you want me to re-draft it in any specific way please let me know I will surely do the same?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
At the very least, you need to put a line space between the paragraphs. At the moment, it just looks like a huge block of text. That was enough to stop me reading it.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi Tarheel,

Yes, I have read some previous letters from which I took a few suggestions. I am not sure why are you commenting the question? Do you want me to rMake paragraphs!e-draft it in any specific way please let me know I will surely do the same?

You haven't read enough of them. If you had read some of the other motivation letters you would have noticed that I say Make paragraphs! And Space between paragraphs!

I have worked on plenty of these. It's time to let somebody else do it.

deeksha007

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
Netherlands
Hello All,

I realized I did not pay attention to line spacing and it looked very pathetic. I have now formatted it while pasting. Additionally, I have made a lot of changes hopefully you can have a look at it now and let me know your comments or feedback. Also, I have written the letter addressing the below questions:

· Why have you chosen this Master’s programme, and why at Utrecht University?
· What is your experience/what demonstrates your interest in this field?
· Which subject areas within this field do you find most interesting and why?
· What makes it evident that you possess the required qualities for this Master’s programme?
· How does this Master’s programme correspond with your career or research ambitions?
· Reflect on your academic achievements.

Thanks in advance
Deeksha

I would like to apply for MSc in Banking and finance as doing a major in finance is my ambition and I want to be a finance risk professional. I have basic knowledge of finance basis my previous academics and need to enhance to a professional level. I was always enthusiastic to learn about accounting and finance as I used to see my father who is an entrepreneur doing his calculations on his own or seeking help from his accountant. I opted to study commerce and started studying accounting at my high school which helped in understanding the basics terms of finance and accounting which were used by my father. My first exposure to the professional world of finance was in my first job when I was working for my clients Wells Fargo and Morgan Stanley. I used to prepare training materials for them that is when I had the opportunity to go through some courses which drove my interest towards finance further. I had soon realized the field of finance was very vast and need specific area of interest to specialize and that is when I decided to do another master in finance in combination with a professional certification.

Utrecht University is very well known in the Netherlands for its curriculum and opportunities offered during the course of internship programs. Additionally, the practical knowledge through assignments and also the professional skill development course to prepare us for the job market is a perfect opportunity to prepare for professional skills.

I have 5 years of work experience working on a number of projects and involving some financial expertise like creating purchase orders and weekly financial reports. Additionally, my final thesis was a business plan in masters in management from Maastricht wherein I had created a financial plan for the company which involved analysing every cost and preparing a plan which would show the time is taken for profit making, payback period, Pro-forma statement and return on investment. I had also come across many friends who were able to gain professional certifications while on the job or during their masters at Maastricht School of Management and some of them were previously experienced in the field of finance. After spending some time with them I understood that I lack professional certification and knowledge to find a job in the field of finance. I started exploring my options and found that my area of interest was in learning about risk management and how Msc in banking and finance would be a perfect combination to complete my PRM certification.

I have completed the courses
of
Microeconomics, Macroeconomics and Corporate finance in my Bachelors as well as my Masters. The courses covered all the topics as required by the university. Additionally, the course for Mathematics was undertaken by me in my Bachelors and Econometrics was covered in my masters in management from Maastricht School of Management. I have also enrolled myself in the PRM certification. It is a program with a duration of 3 years for completion. The courses covered in
Msc will be helpful for me in PRM as the course content is similar to the courses in the program.

As for the academic achievements I have completed my bachelors in commerce as first degree, the second was a diploma in MBA with dual specialization in International Business and Finance and I have recently completed my second masters in management from Maastricht School of Management. My ambition is now to explore the world of finance which can be done through an in-depth knowledge into the same field. The masters will be very helpful to achieve my ambition.

The road to my education was always challenging due to lack of finance but my unrelenting will and positive outlook helped me attain my Bachelors in Commerce from Delhi University combined with many part-time jobs as it was a distance learning program and so was my first masters was also a part-time program. I have always looked at challenges in the most pessimistic way wherein I was able to convert my challenges into opportunities. My biggest achievement when I was highly motivated was when I was given the opportunity by my client to visit them for three months in London. I came across many people from diverse culture and backgrounds that were able to achieve to become a banker through hard work and dedication.

The path to success is always about making right choices and making the most of the opportunities available. What I do today can improve my tomorrow a quote by Ralph Marston has always been an inspiration to me. Based on my credentials, I request Utrecht University to review my application for admission.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I will look at this one when I have time.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I suspect that people give thanks in advance because they don't want to bother giving thanks later.

I think your first sentence is inaccurate. You want to major in finance in order to achieve your ambition of becoming a financial professional.

Status
Not open for further replies.