[Vocabulary] The can opener is on the cabinet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

beachboy

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
I've read it in a book. Maybe I don't understand exactly what a cabinet consists of. Can "cabinet" refer to the counter? I thought I could say "The can opener is in the cabinet" or "The can opener in on the counter", but not the sentence above.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Did you search Google Images for "cabinet"? I did. This is what I got. As you can see, it's perfectly possible for something to be on a cabinet.

beachboy

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Did you search Google Images for "cabinet"? I did. This is what I got. As you can see, it's perfectly possible for something to be on a cabinet.

Did the images show exactly what a cabinet is? What it consists of? Well, I couldn't see it. But your answer shows me that the counter is a part of the cabinet.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The word "cabinet" can refer to lots of different things. If you couldn't see my link, why don't you do your own Google Image search?

beachboy

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
The word "cabinet" can refer to lots of different things. If you couldn't see my link, why don't you do your own Google Image search?

I saw your link. When I said "I couldn't see it" I meant I didn't find words describing what part is considered "cabinet" and what isn't. As I said, I didn't know the counter (if that's the way it is called) was considered a part of the cabinet. Now I know it is, and I know I can say "The can opener is on the cabinet". I thought the cabinet was only the parts inside the doors and drawers.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The whole thing is a cabinet. If something is "on the cabinet", then it's sitting on top of it. It's the same as something being "on the table".

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I think you're using counter in the wrong way. A counter is usually in a shop. It's the place where you can count the money that you have to pay.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In the UK, the long flat surface that goes along the top of the floor-level cupboards in a kitchen is usually called a worktop. However, I have heard it called both a counter and a countertop.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If something is in a cabinet, then you normally have to open a door to access it.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I've read it in a book.
You've been a member long enough to know that we want the title and author of any book you're quoting from.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the UK, the long flat surface that goes along the top of the floor-level cupboards in a kitchen is usually called a worktop. However, I have heard it called both a counter and a countertop.

That surface is a counter or sometimes a countertop in American English.

Status
Not open for further replies.