Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Just a point of curiosity. Anyone recall about when the word "whatever" entered the language as an informal interjection, indicating indifference or scorn for what someone has said? I suspect that the "indifference" meaning predates the "scorn" meaning, but maybe not. "Bill, you're not exercising enough!" "Whatever."

I was born in the late 40s and it seems like I didn't start hearing the "scornful" use until the 70s, but I'm usually way off on such things. Whatever.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Welcome to the forum. :hi:

I wouldn't call it an interjection unless it's used to interrupt someone else because you don't like what they're saying. Otherwise, I would call it a sarcastic reply/comment, simply meaning "I'm not remotely interested in what you have to say".

I would say it became popular in its sarcastic form (in the UK) somewhere around the late 1990s but I don't remember specifically when I started hearing it.

The 7-second video here shows it in the form I saw/hear most frequently when I remember it appearing.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It is a fairly recent thing and would give it a similar age to Emsr2d2. I didn't hear it used when I was young.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Whatever! is shorthand for: "I don't want to waste time arguing with you, but you're wrong.

:)

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I was born in the late 40s and it seems like I didn't start hearing the "scornful" use until the 70s, but I'm usually way off on such things. Whatever.

That chronology seems about right to me. I never heard whatever used in that way until the late 70's or early 80s

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
As somebody who grew up in England, I agree with emsr2d2 and Tdol in dating its rise to some time in the 1990s. I suspect it may have come to us from the US.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Maybe we were late to the whatever party.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

jutfrank

VIP Member