Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi,

I need some help with understanding sentence diagramming.

I hope someone can help.

Is there a specific sequence in how sentence diagram is read? See attached image of my approach.

Attachments

• sentence2.jpg
    sentence2.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 15

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I know next to nothing about sentence diagramming but it's apparent to me that the diagram represents the structure of the second sentence. I don't understand how there couldn't be a specific sequence in which diagrams are read given that the whole point of diagramming is to analyse sentence structure.

HeartShape

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I know next to nothing about sentence diagramming but it's apparent to me that the diagram represents the structure of the second sentence. I don't understand how there couldn't be a specific sequence in which diagrams are read given that the whole point of diagramming is to analyse sentence structure.

That's what I thought, but there are other tutorials using the first sentence sequence. This is where it gets confusing, if you only have a diagram, how does one reconstruct the sentence to show the original order of the sentence it was written in? And also, if the diagram cannot reconstruct the order of the original sentence how do we know the sentence in that particular order is correct?

These are some of the questions I need answered because it's a little confusing at this point.

HeartShape

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I solved it. I was treating all adverbs as adjectives in the diagram. When the sentence has an adverb you skip to the next vertical to the direct object then you read the adverb.

"In a sentence, an adverb that modifies a verb may appear either before or after the verb."

Sentence 1 is the preferred sentence: You can achieve a healthier lifestyle by eating vegetables.

And then there is another way of reading it: by eating vegetables You can achieve a healthier lifestyle by eating vegetables

Status
Not open for further replies.