• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

computist

Since this is a Samuel Johnson (XVIII) quotation, it's nothing to do with computer. He said: "A thousand stories which the ignorant tell, and believe, die away at once when the computist takes them in his gripe."
    I've found that "medieval computists' were those respoոsible for cаlculаtiոg the dаte of Eаster. But it's no help, I can't understand the quotation. Could you please explain it to me? Thank you.

Re: computist

Quote Originally Posted by meliss View Post
    Since this is a Samuel Johnson (XVIII) quotation, it's nothing to do with computer. He said: "A thousand stories which the ignorant tell, and believe, die away at once when the computist takes them in his gripe."
    I've found that "medieval computists' were those respoոsible for cаlculаtiոg the dаte of Eаster. But it's no help, I can't understand the quotation. Could you please explain it to me? Thank you.
    Alright. A computist is also someone who solves or answers something.

I believe what this quote means to tell is, False stories that are told and believed by people who will believe anything no longer exixst when some one prooves them wrong.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Hello Meliss, welcome to Using English!

In Johnson's day, a "computist" was indeed someone who made astronomical calculations, largely in relation to the calendar. "Gripe" is "grip".

I don't recognize the quotation; but it seems that Johnson meant "When we examine a popular story with the rigour we would apply to mathematics or science, we often find that it has no basis in truth".

All the best,

MrP

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

Look, folks (isn't it too informal?), thank you very much ineed! I'm so touched by your attention and help. Isn't it great sitting in Kyiv to be helped by somebody from England or USA?! Thanks again.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

You're welcome, Meliss!

Have a very pleasant Monday,

MrP