is/has been

Hi,

could you please tell me which of the following is better:

1) The product is continuously improved.
    2) The product has been continuously improved.

Where is the difference?

Thank you very much.

Hanka

Re: is/has been

Quote Originally Posted by Hanka View Post
    Hi,
    could you please tell me which of the following is better:
    1) The product is continuously improved.
    2) The product has been continuously improved.
    Where is the difference?
    Thank you very much.
    Hanka
    One isn't better than the other in an overall sense, Hanka, though one may be better than the other for some situations.

Though they both effectively say the same thing, the grammar gives them two slightly different approaches.

Number 1), using the present simple, describes how this process of improvement is the routine procedure, the normal course of events.

Number 2), using the present perfect, tells us that the improvements have continued over time up to now, and though it doesn't state it specifically, it suggests that this process will continue.

I'd say that out of the two, #2 sounds more formal.

Don't forget about the difference between the Passive vs/ Active "voice" to which a listener / reader might take notice. The setting of the phrase's use might change the choice. Although I agree that #2 might be a good "teaching" choice, if One were to find Oneself in a business meeting, I would choose the Active #1 terminology -- I think this is one of the reasons this English stuff can be overwhelming sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetjanna View Post
    Don't forget about the difference between the Passive vs/ Active "voice" to which a listener / reader might take notice. The setting of the phrase's use might change the choice. Although I agree that #2 might be a good "teaching" choice, if One were to find Oneself in a business meeting, I would choose the Active #1 terminology -- I think this is one of the reasons this English stuff can be overwhelming sometimes.
    I'm not sure that I understand what you mean, Tetjanna. Both # 1 and # 2 are passive constructions.

1) The product is continuously improved [by someone].
    2) The product has been continuously improved [by someone].

Is there something wrong with using the passive?