Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi,

About this sentence "The science lab was displayed on Parents’ Night."

In the book "Parents' Night" is an object of preposition because “Parents'” is written with a capital P. If I changed P to a lowercase to form an adjective, would that violate any grammar rules?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Whether the words are capitalised has no bearing on the fact that Parents' Night is the object of the preposition.

What makes you think that? What do you mean by "In the book"?

HeartShape

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Whether the words are capitalised has no bearing on the fact that Parents' Night is the object of the preposition.

What makes you think that? What do you mean by "In the book"?

I'm learning diagramming. What is it then?

Attached image

Attachments

• preposition1.jpg
    preposition1.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

HeartShape

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Something is wrong with uploading images... hmm

Can anyone see the image?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Something is wrong with uploading images... hmm

Can anyone see the image?
It was vertically squished after one click. Clicking the squished image opened the full one in a new tab.

HeartShape

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It was vertically squished after one click. Clicking the squished image opened the full one in a new tab.

Yes that was weird, but it's working now for some reason. hmm....

HeartShape

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What is what?

I would assume "Parents" would modify night so it would class as an adjective. But then I looked at the diagram and it shows it as an object. According to the diagram it describes "Parents' Night" as an object. In the sentence given, "Parents' Night" is an object is that right?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's been almost fifty years since the last time I diagrammed a sentence, but I think your diagram is incomplete. Parents' Night is, I think, a noun phrase which serves as the object of a preposition. In that noun phrase, Parents' is an adjective modifying ​Night.

PaulMatthews

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
Hi,

About this sentence "The science lab was displayed on ParentsÂ’ Night."

In the book "Parents' Night" is an object of preposition because “Parents'” is written with a capital P. If I changed P to a lowercase to form an adjective, would that violate any grammar rules?

The science lab was displayed on Parents' Night.

The genitive noun phrase "Parents' Night is complement of the preposition "on".

Capitalisation is irrelevant to the analysis, and Parents' is a genitive noun phrase functioning as determiner of "Night".

HeartShape

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Correction: diagram is saying "Parents' Night" is an object of preposition. While it’s an object of preposition does that mean "Parents' is still an adjective?

PaulMatthews

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
Correction: diagram is saying "Parents' Night" is an object of preposition. While it’s an object of preposition does that mean "Parents' is still an adjective?

I just told you. Parents' is a genitive noun phrase functioning as determiner of "Night".

And I think it's unreasonable of you to expect us to help you with the RK system. Most people will have no knowledge of it, and those that do usually eschew it.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The genitive noun phrase "Parents' Night is complement of the preposition "on".

Would you please illuminate the difference between objects and complements of prepositions?

HeartShape

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Here's another sentence: Most people in Emma’s class like rock music.

Which word or words is the object of preposition?

Last edited:

HeartShape

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
OK I got it now, Emma's function as an attributive adjective. Goesstation described it perfectly for me.

HeartShape

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No. Emma's is anoun phrase. It functions as a modifier of noun class.

Maybe I am not using an accurate terminology here.

I understand "Emma's class" is a noun phrase and that it modify the word "class" but "Emma's" is an attributive adjective is that not right?

In this particular sentence the attributive adjective modify the noun (class) in this sentence.

Last edited:

HeartShape

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Emma's is not any kind of adjective. It is the possessive form of the proper noun Emma. Its function is to modify the following noun, but that does not change its word class.

Yes. Emma is a proper noun.

How about now? I saved this in my notebook.

"Possessive nouns and pronouns can be considered adjective because they describe nouns"

HeartShape

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Here's the diagram from my diagramming book. It say it's an adjective.

Attachments

• adjective1.jpg
    adjective1.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 6

HeartShape

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Emma's has none of the characteristics of an adjective except that it modifies a noun. It has all the characteristics of a noun ( which include functioning as a noun modifier).

Relative clauses and preposition phrases can also modify nouns. That doesn't make them adjectives.

Quoting from the book: "An adjective is a word that modifies, or describes, a noun or pronoun. “

“Adjective can tell what kind, which one, how many, or how much."

Accordingly to the meaning above, if we ask the question what kind of class we know it is Emma's class. That's one characteristic in the adjective quoted. In this instance "Emma" is acting as an adjective.

I am failing to understand your arguments put forward. Are you are arguing nouns cannot act as an adjective?

Here’s another resource regarding nouns as adjectives.

https://www.englishclub.com/grammar/nouns-adjective.htm

HeartShape

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Most modern grammarians do not find it helpful to speak of a word in one word class acting/functioning as a word in another class.

In, for example, a high wall, high, like all prototypical adjectives, has comparative and superlative forms (higher, highest), and it can be modified by intensifiers such as very and extremely. The noun brick does not have these characteristics.

In a brick wall, brick, like all prototypical nouns, has plural and possessive forms (bricks, brick's, bricks' ). It can function as the subject, direct object and indirect object of a sentence, and as the object/complement of a preposition. The adjective high does not have these characteristics.

Both nouns and adjectives can sct/function as noun modifiers.

Such an unhelpful response, talking about superlative and intensifiers I don't see any relevance to "Emma" being an attributive adjective. I think the response was more to do with demonstrating your prowess with words, which I am grateful for adding to my vocabulary.

No idea what the abbreviated word sct means - so unhelpful.

So to deduce what you have written are we in agreement that "Emma" acting as an adjective then?

For some reason I sense we are now in agreement. Have our planetary stars come to alignment?

Status
Not open for further replies.