Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkmen
Home Country
Turkmenistan
Current Location
Turkmenistan
When you look at someone, for instance a musiacian who overperforms in terms of his facial expressions (making it look too unnatural, for instance a street musician who does that to collect more money by fooling some uninitiated people into belief that he does something special while actually not), what would you say to such people to tell them to look easier?

Here I must say that you don't necessarily need to come up to one and say that but imagine you do.

How would it sound in English to say: "Make you face look easier, brother (man, etc. ...)" ?

Other applicable situation that could be relevant, imagine that you talk to someone and you express yourself in a straight and sincere manner and your opponent talks in response in some unnatural, maybe artistic or pretentious manner.

How would you say it in English if you want to deliver your feeling being: "Make you face look easier, brother (man, etc. ...)" ?

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We don't tell people to make their face look easier. You might say something like ​Relax, man. Don't look like you're trying so hard.

svenglish

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkmen
Home Country
Turkmenistan
Current Location
Turkmenistan
We don't tell people to make their face look easier. You might say something like ​Relax, man. Don't look like you're trying so hard.

I certainly understand that in the concurrent metropolitan EU or US environment everyone pretends to be extremely polite ans careful. However imagine maybe a market square of the Renaissance period or a saloon in the Wild West.
I doubt those people would often exchange with 'Pardon me sir, I'd like to note that your facial expression makes me rather irritated' kind of thing.
Maybe they would probably say something like: "Hey man - make your mug shine otherwise I'll quickly clean it up myself".

However I'm not talking about anything like that above - rude and rough. I'd rather prefer to know some kind of sarcastic way to say that.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What GoesStation meant by 'we don't tell people' isn't that we don't say it because it's impolite, he means that we don't say it because it doesn't make any sense in English. Nobody would understand what you mean if you told them to 'make their face look easier'.

They wouldn't be offended. They'd just be very confused.

I can't think of any such expression in English that refers to excessive facial expressions. We do speak of 'being a ham' or 'hamming it up', when somebody is exaggerating or overdoing their actions (usually in a comedic manner), but it refers to their overall behavior, not just their facial expressions.

I suppose you could tell somebody to 'not be such a ham' in your circumstance, but it again wouldn't refer solely to their facial expressions.

Last edited by a moderator:

parkcy31

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam

Not a teacher

"Dont look like you're trying so hard" is common in my place. But we ofter say "relax" only

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Not a teacher

"Don't look like you're trying so hard" is common [STRIKE]in my place[/STRIKE] where I come from. But we [STRIKE]ofter[/STRIKE] often just/simply say "Relax". [STRIKE]only[/STRIKE]

Please note my corrections to your response above. It's good of you to try to help other learners but you must preface your responses with "Not a teacher". I have added it for you this time.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
"I'd rather prefer to know some kind of sarcastic way to say that."

Sarcasm is often conveyed by the tone of
voice and facial expression.
In the case you describe you might say:
"That must be really hard to do."
"You look so involved in the music."
This sort of comment could be made very sarcastic with a sceptical tone of voice and a roll of the eyes.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"Loosen up, man. You look like you've got a coke can up your a**/e."

Status