Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
For the clause below would the verbal group "found out" in systematic grammar be classified as a mental or material process?

3.1 At such a time I found out for certain

For the clause below, the verbal group process is material, but would the nominal group that follows be classified as a goal or scope?

4.1 “Hold your noise!”
Holdyour noise
Verbal GroupNominal Group
Pro: materialGoal

For this clause, would cried by a verbal or behavioral process. To me it is similar to said and is verbal, unlike if you were to say 'I saw her crying". There crying would be behavioral.
"Hold your noise" cried a terrible voice.

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
This looks like homework. Are you taking a TEFL course?

annabellegl

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
This looks like homework. Are you taking a TEFL course?

I've just finished a grammar unit at university and I was still confused by a couple of things, so I'm just trying to get my head over everything. My tutor suggested looking at Great expectations in the holidays and using what I know to break the first chapter up.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
For someone who is studying grammar at university, your posts are not very well-presented, to be honest.

Do you think you could tidy it up and make what you're asking clearer? Then maybe someone will answer.

In 4.2, please provide a complete clause.

Thank you

annabellegl

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
For someone who is studying grammar at university, your posts are not very well-presented, to be honest.

Do you think you could tidy it up and make what you're asking clearer? Then maybe someone will answer.

Thank you

Apologises, this is the way the tutor broke it up.

The bit before is 'hold your voice cried a terrible voice"

annabellegl

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

Thank you

Apologises, this is the way the tutor broke it up, we only had one lecture on this and its my elective so I'm not studying grammar.

For 4.1 the sentence is "Hold your voice" cried a terrible voice. I believe "cried" to be a verbal process, but I wish to clarify.

My question with "At such a time I found out for certain" is whether 'found out' in systematic grammar would classify as a mental or material process?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
cried is a verbal process. It relates to the words uttered. Now you've provided the context, the meaning is clear.

found out is a mental process. It relates to cognition (or, precisely, to discovering).

Status
Not open for further replies.